free website stats program Harley Factory Engines, What's the biggest? | Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Factory Engines, What's the biggest?

so pretty much the 110 is just to big a runs to hot?

not totally. yes, bigger engines produce more heat, but the CVO 110 has design problems that also lead to the head gasket issue - the displacement is not the only reason they run too hot.
Donny Peterson has a book out, the title is something along the lines of "donny's unofficial technical guide to harley davidson"
He has articles in American Iron, and is as knowledgeable as they come. that book and the tech articles in American Iron will explain all the issues with the CVO 110 and how to fix 'em.

but they should be right from the Box, Ultima, Merch and S&S to name a few all run bigger motors than the 110 with out any of issue's the 110 have? other than drinking fuel like they are going out of fashion:rofl, why cant HD just sort em surely its not that difficult if some can write a book on it maybe HD R&D should read it :small3d023:

yes, yes, and yes!
it's very disappointing that HD didn't do a thorough job on the 110. the reason, it seems, is that they are most concerned about making $$$$, while the aftermarket engine manufacturers are also concerned about putting out a quality product.

from Mr. Peterson's analysis,
one of the reasons the high heat is a problem is that the oil return dowels in the 110 cylinders are in the same spot as the 88...since the 110 bore is much larger, this results in a much thinner separation between the oil return and the inside of the cylinder, so the oil running through there gets hotter.
simply put, instead of making it right, they used (insufficient) parts they already had. bummer.
The problem is "covered" under warranty, but all they do is replace the head gasket - the article I read mentioned more than 1 unhappy CVO 110 owner that experienced the problem 2 or 3 times, after having warranty work to "fix" the problem.

he also states that running 2 (or at least 1) 10 row Jagg oil coolers is pretty much essential in keeping head temps down to avoid detonation. why doesn't Harley have an oil cooler on there from the factory?? who knows...

why doesn't Harley have an oil cooler on there from the factory?? who knows...

It's all about $$$. The company is more concerned about the share holders than the customer buying the bikes. I've said this for years that when they don't do the right thing for the customers it in turn effects the share holders. It's like putting the cart before the donkey and expecting to win the race.

To sum it up, it's the bean counters that produce the inferior products.

what happened to alittle self respect going a long way ? i know i won't be getting a 110 upgrade ! the 103 is looking better all the time !

Back