free website stats program Harley Dream | Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Dream

jakesvdm

Hi, my wife and I have been preparing ourself for a couple of years (about 7) for our first Harley. Mainly my wife's dream, but we soon realized that we could only afford a Sporty. We also decided that we should get a 2004 or 2005 model (depends on budget) which comes with the rubber mount engine.

The problem is that we can only afford a 883. Since we always ride two up (my wife can't ride a bike, and we are always together), everybody tells us that we should get the 1200. I would like the extra power, but it has come down to two choices. We either live our dream and buy a 883 sporty 2004 (or maybe 05 - budget is tight), or we get the alternative - Suzuki / Honda. They cost the same.

My question is, how bad is the 883 with two up ( 2004 and later - still carb) ? All I need is a bike that can do 120 km/h going up hill on a freeway with the two of us on it. We weigh, luggage included when we travel, 170 kg (we currently have a Yamaha XT 350). Or should I forget about a Harley if I cannot afford the 1200 ? Can the 883 handle two up ?

I was told that the engine would not last. It was made for a single rider. Straining it with two up will just let the engine break. That's it. Really ?

Hey, I work way up north in a tourist town and have seen a lot of 1200's and 883's this year, both with 1 up and 2 up loaded to the top. In my talking with these people none have ever said anything about not enough power. Mainly long distance riding is abit tough. Hobbit's right you can upgrade later. There are also a lot of 1200 used for sale out there if this is what you want. I own one and love it. But as with all things I will be upgrading to a Super Glide Custom when I can.

Thanks for the help. Just one question, is it safe to upgrade the 883 to a 1200 ? I see a lot of people do this. The reason I ask is that the one custom shop told me that they use the 883 crank when doing this upgrade and that the 883 crank cannot deal with the extra power, so it breaks. Costing you lots of $$ to repair. Is this true ? Or is it a safe upgrade / conversion.

Wouldn't it depend on how much 2 up riding you are going to do? I would think that if it is primarily just you solo and occaionally two up I would think that the 883 would be fine. However I would also say that the key is just remember what your bike is capable of when you are two up.

I don't know where you are from and I don't know how good a deal it is, but...

I know where there is a nice looking 2003 Sporty with a 1200 kit for $3500. The shop that just put on my tire has a customer with one for sale.

There are a lot of deals out there. I found my Fat Boy on craigslist for an awesome deal.

Maybe you can find one there within your budget and like you want.

Good Luck!

Sheepdogmarine, I am from South Africa.
Vrey, We would only do 2 up riding. I will only ride the Harley when my wife is with me.

Back