free website stats program Harley combination Digital speedo/Analogue tacho. | Harley Davidson Forums

Harley combination Digital speedo/Analogue tacho.

biscuit

Does anyone have any history with this combination Speedo/Tacho-p/n 74717-10?I see it's standard equipment on the 2010 CVO Softail Convertible.

I need to know if the digital speedo can be read in bright sunlight,and if the tacho is equally readable.
I bought a digital speedo with LED tacho from Zippers,however the speedo is unreadable in daylight.Almost totally useless.(the other functions are pretty good,though)

Many thanks for any help.

Don't know about the one you mention but I just installed the Dakota Digital LED Speedo/Tach and it's absolutely amazing! Upon installation you can set the brightness to auto dim during evening or set for full illumination at all times which is what I did. Even though it has a Tach built in I also use the Dakota Digital Mini Tach mounted on the center of my bars, easier to see without having to look down and take your eyes off the road.
You can check it out at
Harley 4-1/2 Tank Mount Instrument Replacement w/ Direct ECM Plug-In

I too am interested to know if this combination Speedo/Tacho-p/n 74717-10 is any good. It is $200.00 cheaper than the other in the H-D website. Anybody?

Thorns

I just installed this speedo/tach today. So far so good, it's very easy to read both the tach and the speedo, and the speedo accuracy is spot-on when compared with my GPS. At night I get a bit of reflection on my windshield from the bright orange light (it'd be nice if if I could dim it). Those taller than me (5'7'') probably wouldn't notice it..

It is a nice looking combo speedometer/tach, and I would think they would have some sort of contrast adjustment because many displays have to be brightened or dimmed for day/night riding. May be one of those dealer/customer service inquiries to the "mother ship".

tn147s3.jpg

Can anyone tell me if the 74717-10 HD tack/speedo combo retains the reserve fuel miles feature that the 2010 FatBoy speedo has....?

Last edited:
Can we get an update on this Speedo/Tach combo unit. The good, the bad, features it doesn't have??

Thorns

Can we get an update on this Speedo/Tach combo unit. The good, the bad, features it doesn't have??

Thorns

I haven't forgotten you.
I've just received mine;no chance to fit it yet.As for it's features,there is a distinct lack of them.The only adjustability is toggling between(pressing the reset button) MPH and KPH.Oh,and the blurb also states that on SOME kits-not named,the odometer reading will still be displayed when the ignition is in the OFF position. Go figure---

It's got 7 illuminated warning light symbols on the face below the speedo section(neutral light,engine check,alarm light etc etc) and a large-ish red, easily read tacho needle that points in from the outer edge of the radial dial.-not obvious in the picture by NEWHD
(hows that for clumsy syntax?)

As previously mentioned,i contacted 3 e bay buyers of this puppy;the 2 who replied gave me positive feedback,hence my purchase.

I bought mine from 'House of H-D' on e bay for U.S $254.00.I think the retail price in the U.S is $299

I'll fit it next w/end and let you know.

I bought the Digital Speedo/Tach p/n 74717-10. Install went ok until the speedo is somewhat loose in the mounting. You have to use the plastic locking ring and rubber seal from the original speed head. Well, what I had to do to tighten the speedo head in it's mounting is use some orings around the speedo's locking tabs(hooks) so you force more pressure between the speedo head and the locking ring, thus putting more crush(pressure) on the rubber seal. With the orings in place, I use a couple of plastic ties the hold them from slipping out. It worked well. Back to the speedo/tach. It does have the clock, and the fuel calculation to reserve feature. When you turn the ignition off, the speedo turns off. The digital speedo is easy to read, but the tach could be a little easier to read. It has the pointer like a "V" that covers the number. I'll get used to it. I had the old style Combo/Tach on my 07 RK, and the speedo was hard to read, but the tach was easier to read...but, for the difference price, the digital seems to be the better buy.

Thorns

Back