free website stats program Harley 120R engine | Harley Davidson Forums

Harley 120R engine

garlab1

I'm in the market for a new bike and came across a Street Glide with Harley's 120R engine, can anyone provide some feedback about this engine, is it reliable and how does it perform in the heat since I'm in SE Florida.

Thanks

MY Opinion from Others having PROBLEMS... One had 10,000 miles on it and needed a Total rebuild AND The Needed Modifications that HD should have come out with.

The crank Needed alignment and welding along with a Timken style bearing added to the crank.
(two not just one NEEDED)

The pistons and bore will need New build.
(if like the one I'm speaking about)

Better lifters, High Volume oil pump added and valve guides/seals in the heads.

Sure you want to BUY this problem'd motor that HD put out?????????

MORE problems that I listed here.........

There are Better motors to be had.

signed....BUBBIE

Take a look at another one...... the link had some bad language in it so I removed it... PM me and I will give you the link..

signed....BUBBIE

I have also heard some bad things about the 120 engine (quality, etc.), but Bubbie and I hang out in the same low places. :p

I would expect it to throw a lot of heat and Florida would be a bad place to ride it.Idling for 3 minutes at traffic lights!

For every negative story about the 120R, I can show you 10 positive stories about the 120R but I would agree that some have had issues. Those that have issues installed the 120R out of the box. Those that have not had issues pulled the top end to check for a true bore and piston to cylinder fitment. They also checked crank runout and some even went to the trouble to pull the crank to have it welded.

As for cooling, an oil cooler or maybe even double coolers and a set of Jason Wards head fans would address the heat issue; mo money though.:(

What you have to ask yourself is why would a guy, or gal, buy a $20K motorcycle, spend another $6K and then trade it in?:coffee

I have also heard some bad things about the 120 engine (quality, etc.), but Bubbie and I hang out in the same low places. :p

Hey Brother from another Mother,,,,,

Not only You and I but NOW geezer hangs out in the LOW places... Took him to Kingman and Oatman Az. while he was here and got rooms at the Tri State Motel..... $28.95 plus tax...

Not a bad place but Not the best either. I had to laugh as i brought my wife along,,,,and me Knowing the owner, I had DOUBLE New sheets put on my bed.....:lolrolling

Made up for it in Gila Bend Az. at the Best Western Space Age Motel... 130 a night... SMILE and NICE....Gosh, even gave us a coupon for a FREE breakfast in their UFO restaurant... Well worth the experience though...

geezer put on over 4,000 miles on the stay in Az. seeing the Grand Canyon, Monument Valley and came over from Portal and kept going when the pavement ran out into a Jeep Road at best...

What does this have to do with the 120r?...He would have never made it if he had a 120r in his bike.... Eh geez?

signed....BUBBIE

Thanks everybody, all the research I did came back negative, I think the 110 motor will be my choice, looking to buy a used cvo streetglide, 2011 or 2012, had my wideglide for 10 years, it's time to upgrade.

Thanks everybody, all the research I did came back negative, I think the 110 motor will be my choice, looking to buy a used cvo streetglide, 2011 or 2012, had my wideglide for 10 years, it's time to upgrade.

The 110 motor is not without issues either; leaking oil at the cylinder to case joint. May have been sorted out in the last couple of years, not sure. Not going to be much difference in heat from the 120 to the 110, so if you are concerned about heat, you should factor in how you plan to deal with it.

Back