free website stats program Hard Shifting | Harley Davidson Forums

Hard Shifting

kasper

A bit about me first. I am a new member as I just signed up today. I am also the proud owner of my first Harley, a 2006 Electra Glide Classic. The bike has about 6,000 miles or 9,600 kms on it. The problem I am having is once it warms up after a mile or so shifting becomes very noisy and sounds as though it is slamming into each gear. This is while gearing up or down. When cold, no problem shift quietly. Can anyone advise what my problem might be. I am planning to pick up a service manual this week for future reference.

Thanks
Kasper(Ron)

It could be as simple as a change to a quality lubricant. Do you know how many miles are on the oil now?
Check out some of the other threads that deal with transmission oil. You will be surprised at how much you will learn here.

Ron

Being this is your first harley, there are many things that will make it run and shift better as far as oils but what you are experiencing is safe to say "very normal " for these bikes. They do clunk into gear and when shifting also to a degree.
It can be minimized with a quality oil like Spectro platinum or Redline shock proof heavy in the trans that will give more of a cushion to the gears when they engage but will probably never completely eliminate it. A good clutch adjustment will also lessen it to a degree also if it is in need of one.

Welcome to the forum.:D

Take a look in the self help forum and also the oil forum for more input on the proper oils to use.
Oil Related Tips - Harley Davidson Community

Like Glider says,I have REDLINE HEAVY SOCKPROOF in mine,and it still clunks into gear,but it IS smoother,and actually sounds and feels like its being lubricated!Trust what glider says,he KNOWS what he talks about.Not putting anyone else down,with Hobbit a some others to many to name,ON THIS WEB SITE,YOU'VE HIT THE MOTHER LOAD!!:newsmile091:

Thanks to all for your wisdom, I will take your advice and explore changing my tranny fluid as you hace reccomended. I must say I look forward to further viewing of this forum and taking full advantage of all the knoledge that no doubt exists..Thanks Guys

One more question, as I work for an automotive performance parts distribution warehouse, we are a Canadian Distributor of Royal Purple. Is there anything withing thier product line that would work.

Thanks
Ron

One more question, as I work for an automotive performance parts distribution warehouse, we are a Canadian Distributor of Royal Purple. Is there anything withing thier product line that would work.

Thanks
Ron

I've never used RP so I can't recommend which one to use. They recommend the
blkArrow.gif
Max-Cycle 20W50
I'm not too comfortable with a 20/50 oil in the gearbox however. Gear lubes and engine oils differ in their makeup.

Here's the applications listings.

Royal Purple Synthetic Oil Recommendation Chart

Back