free website stats program Handling Issues | Harley Davidson Forums

Handling Issues

shady1324

Hey gang. Quick question for you guys. I recently changed my back rotor and brake pads. Everything went smooth, got it all installed, bike tire on and when I went to ride it, that thing was all over the road. Back in floating everywhere. It was next to impossible to hold a line on the road. From what I can tell, the axle is in straight, and belt tension is where it should be 3/8 to 1/2 play with a 10lb tug! It wasnt like this before and its like I am fighting it the whole time I ride! I did check my air pressure in my back tire and it is really low. 13lbs of pressure. Could this be the problem. Its pouring down rain right now and supposed to snow tomorrow so I havent tried increasing the air pressure yet! Any other ideas why this thing is all over the road? Thanks guys in advance for all your help. These are very imformative forums!

Shady1324!!

At 13 LBS pressure that would do it for sure . It would be like driving with the rear tire on ice.

Thanks glider! Ill hook that up! Its hard to think that I only have 13 lbs of pressure, it feels like the tire is pretty hard! Its wierd it seemed fine last week when i rode it. Anyway, will do that soon as this rain stops! We shall see! Smokeout coming up fairly soon! :)

Thanks glider! Ill hook that up! Its hard to think that I only have 13 lbs of pressure, it feels like the tire is pretty hard! Its wierd it seemed fine last week when i rode it. Anyway, will do that soon as this rain stops! We shall see! Smokeout coming up fairly soon! :)

It's amazing how the "feels like" test can be so inaccurate - bikes, cars, planes - doesn't matter. Almost as bad as the "looks like" test! Use a gauge every time.

tyre pressure guages can be a liitle out especially if it hasnt been looked after or was really cheep i tend to cross check with at least 2 guages just to be sure
cos im getting old usually use the compressor with tyre inflation and guage attatchment and then check with good quality pop out tyre guage

Brian

Yea, I checked the front tire this morning and it was around 36lbs! Checked the back and it was 12-13! I hope this solves my problem! Ill put some air in the rear soon as weather permits. It was just weird riding the same bike and experiencing such a different ride from a week ago! Another note, I bought this bike as a RE-PO and it hasnt been driven in a good while! It sat for a long time apparently cuz the back tire shows signs of a little dry rot. Not bad but you can see it a little. I am thinking it may be better to go ahead and replace the back tire and get that out of the way. The tread on the tire is like new so its hard to make that decsion. Ill put the air in and see if it holds pressure and go from there I guess! Thanks for all your input!

Shady1324

It sat for a long time apparently cuz the back tire shows signs of a little dry rot. Not bad but you can see it a little. I am thinking it may be better to go ahead and replace the back tire and get that out of the way. The tread on the tire is like new so its hard to make that decsion. Ill put the air in and see if it holds pressure and go from there I guess! Thanks for all your input!

Shady1324

I would for sure be replacing it
you dont want it coming apart or blowing out while riding

Back