free website stats program H-D Water Cooled Heads for Touring Bikes | Harley Davidson Forums

H-D Water Cooled Heads for Touring Bikes

Les Putnam

Greetings all, long time lurker here, finally getting around to registering. I came across something I've decided to share. I just finished checking out cad drawings of a head water cooling system done by Harley-Davidson. Two small radiators integrated into an Ultra Glide's lowers, a pump, tucked away lines, and two small ports on the intake side of each head for the coolant to flow into and out. The flow through the head is a single 'C' shaped loop just above and around the exhaust valve seat. I'm including a few images to start.

Les

Attachments

• HDcooling1.JPG
    HDcooling1.JPG
    68.7 KB · Views: 82
  • HDcooling2.JPG
    HDcooling2.JPG
    67.6 KB · Views: 75
Les,
Thanks for the posting...

The HD has made Every Effort to HEAT these motors up with More is Better approach for the past few years. Like the stroker motor done Improperly in My Book.. :

Moving the wrist-pin Up and lengthening the rod by 3/8 of an inch then shorting the skirt of that piston with the potential of Future Rattle from Loose Piston Slap.

They have created a Bigger Heat problem (moving the piston pin UP) and they DO Heat.
Now the Idea of exhaust cooling is needed there.

My 800+ lbs of King is enough already so when does the WEIGHT come into the Factor?

ALUMINUM???

Just My Rant..
Thanks

signed....BUBBIE

Back