free website stats program H-D Screamin' Eagle 103" Stage III or IV kit | Harley Davidson Forums

H-D Screamin' Eagle 103" Stage III or IV kit

zx9rmal

Hi. New guy here.

I have a '09 FXD. I've had several Harleys over the years and have always used Screamin' Eagle parts with satisfactory results. I'm considering going to the Screamin' Eagle 103 Stage III or IV kit listed in the H-D catalog. Is anyone using these, or can someone give me an "informed" opinion about them as to reliability, performance, etc.? The dyno charts in the H-D catalog look impressive. I feel that either kit should be a good choice since it is a complete package developed by the MoCo.

Thanks.

Mal

I have a supercharged 103"CI 2003 roadking classic and before you spend the money on screaming eagle build up as i did, look into ProCharger equipment.
I installed a ProCharger supercharger about two years after i did the 103CI SE upgrade and wish i had went with the supercharger before I did the 103. I would not have done the 103 at all and just added the ProCharger knowing what i know now.

Mal

If I'm not mistaken, those charts in the HD book are computer generated and not the absolute last word on what you will get with that kit.:s

There's many other options available from different builders that run as good or better than the SE parts will and probably for less money as well.

I did the Stage III and I am very impressed. With a Stage 1 Air Cleaner and decent exhaust to increase air flow, I got 100 HP and 105 TQ. Actually my dyno numbers are slightly higher than the Harley racing catalog.
After one oil change at 150 miles, about 600 miles break-in and the final tune-up of the Race Tuner, I rode the beast with a smile all the way home.

R2KVET

Hi. New guy here.

I have a '09 FXD. I've had several Harleys over the years and have always used Screamin' Eagle parts with satisfactory results. I'm considering going to the Screamin' Eagle 103 Stage III or IV kit listed in the H-D catalog. Is anyone using these, or can someone give me an "informed" opinion about them as to reliability, performance, etc.? The dyno charts in the H-D catalog look impressive. I feel that either kit should be a good choice since it is a complete package developed by the MoCo.

Thanks.

Mal

Thanks for that info R2. What exhaust are you using? Did you consider the Stage IV? I assume you're using the stock heads?

I am using the HD Screaming Eagle exhaust without modifications. Actually you see the pipes in my avatar. I believe that if my exhaust pipes were less restrictive, I could probably get better performance but it would probably come with more noise as well. I like the way the bike sounds at this time. The heads are stock, all the mods are bolt on.

I considered the Stage IV but it's an extra $1K and I could not justify spending that much more for the extra 10 HP at 6200 RPM.

The clutch is slightly stiffer to operate but I can get used to that. There is a little pre-iginition at low RPM especially on take-off maily caused by the higher compression ratio. I may need to use an octane booster in the summer months.

R2KVET

Thanks for that info R2. What exhaust are you using? Did you consider the Stage IV? I assume you're using the stock heads?

Last edited:
I just completed a Stage IV installation to my 2009 Rocker C. Had to do some tuning to my exhaust system due to some reversion probably due to the overlap in the valves. I am very impressed with the kit.

Mal

If I'm not mistaken, those charts in the HD book are computer generated and not the absolute last word on what you will get with that kit.:s

There's many other options available from different builders that run as good or better than the SE parts will and probably for less money as well.

Very true words from this man.

there are many diffrent options out there most people want to get the most and best for their dollar.. the se stuff is a very reliable option but.....dollar for dollar and horse power per cubic inch it is probley the worst investment.
if you want to throw your money away go buy some AIG stock instead you will get a better return then the SE stuff, Hillside heads , T_Man ,HQ , Baisley will ooffer packages that will put you ahead of the SE pack and keep some money in your pocket.
also do not forget about the tuner The TTS will be the best investment
G

Re: H-D Screamin' Eagle 103" Stage III or IV kit

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

there are many diffrent options out there most people want to get the most and best for their dollar.. the se stuff is a very reliable option but.....dollar for dollar and horse power per cubic inch it is probley the worst investment.
if you want to throw your money away go buy some AIG stock instead you will get a better return then the SE stuff, Hillside heads , T_Man ,HQ , Baisley will ooffer packages that will put you ahead of the SE pack and keep some money in your pocket.
also do not forget about the tuner The TTS will be the best investment
G

G

You're probably right, however 90%+ of the owners would not have a clue where to go and who to rely on to select the right parts and have them installed.

R2KVET

Back