free website stats program gz250problem | Harley Davidson Forums

gz250problem

coco

Unrelated to sporty issue but don't know where else to turn. My wife took up riding and bought a used suzuki gz250. It's been sitting for awhile. I bought new battery, plug, blew out the carb, treated with berryman b 12 along with the fuel treatment. I got it started and idling roughly but much improved over the last couple of days. The problem is I can't get it to start from day to day. The only way to get it started is by putting it on a trickle charger engine start feature. The bike doesn't seem to be drawing enough from the battery...Could something be draining it overnight? Even when it gets started and on the road it stalls out after downshifting and stopping. Any ideas? Thanks.

I dont understand.
Its runs poorly AND the batter goes dead?

Is it kick or electric start?

When a bike sits, the first thing to go is the battery, which you replaced.
Is it a good brand, the right one, terminals clean and tight, etc?

The second thing to go is the gas, in the carbs, and in the tank.
Passages and jets plug up with the stuff they add to gas, and you cant just blow it out, you have to clean it with carb cleaner, scrape, or replace carbs if its crusted in some passage you cant get to.

As far as charging goes, if the headlight gets brighter when you rev the motor, the charging system is working.

Brett

Without having more data to go on, I suggest the following:

With the bike running at idle, check the voltage across the battery terminals. This need to be some voltage greater than 12 volts. In a perfect world, I'd like to see 14.5 volts, but many Japanese small displacement bikes will only get 13 - 13.5 volts. This increases as the engine rpm increases to around 14.5.

If you do not get the desired voltage in the test above, find the ground cable and follow it to the grounding point on the chassis/engine. You may find that this connection is loose, dirty or a combination of the two. Clean and tighten as necessary.

If you still have not found the problem, remove the battery (remembering to disconnect the negative terminal first) and then seek out all those wonderful little bullet connections that the Japanese like so well. I have had bikes in the past, and have a few now, that requires these connections be cleaned for the charging system to work.

This means that you get some CRC 56, scotch bright material and at least a 6 pack and disconnect and clean one terminal at a time. You will fine these connections throughout the bike, but I generally start with those in the headlight and work my way back. While you are doing this, you can multi-task and put your battery on a charger.

If this does not get things going for you, put the charged battery in, (remember to connect the positive first, then the ground) and drive it to your local dealer. If your wife can handle the weight of an 883 - go for it, if she needs something that is light and can travel at highway speeds, check out the Suzuki S40 (aka Savage).

Be safe

Jake

Back