free website stats program Growling sound from 6 speed Trans | Harley Davidson Forums

Growling sound from 6 speed Trans

Impala312

I have a 2009 FLHTC that makes a loud and annoying growling sound when I let out of the throttle, it happens in any gear. It starts to make this noise only when ridin for awhile and when hot. It sound as if it is coming form the Trans area. I put in the spectro 6 speed gear oil, but did not help.

I don,t belive this normal, I have only 2000 miles on it now, I have adjusted my belt to spec, and checked it several times thinking that it is the source,

Any help would be great,

Not sure what exactly you mean by "let out of the throttle." Regardless, your 2009 should still be under warranty and I would let your dealer trouble shoot this issue and make it right.

take her in...you have the good stuff in there and it should not be growlin...under warranty. Ihave a 09 FLHX and once I put the Spectro in it was quiet. Shouldnt make noise except a little in 5th...just the cut of the gear. Good luck...do not let them tell you this is normal.:s

I am just concerned about the warm up time it take before it starts to make the annoying noise, It must be ridin about 10 miles to be warm enough. Hope the dealer takes the time.

When I say let "let out of the throttle" it means no throttle, coast down,

Also it could be the primary, At the 1,000 mile I put amsoil 20W50 in there, Does anybody see a issue with that as the oil gets hot possiabily? Maybe I need something thicker in there?

It makes the noise clutch engaged or not by the way?

I am just concerned about the warm up time it take before it starts to make the annoying noise, It must be ridin about 10 miles to be warm enough. Hope the dealer takes the time.

When I say let "let out of the throttle" it means no throttle, coast down,

Also it could be the primary, At the 1,000 mile I put amsoil 20W50 in there, Does anybody see a issue with that as the oil gets hot possiabily? Maybe I need something thicker in there?

It makes the noise clutch engaged or not by the way?

What I would do before loosing any sleep id to put Formula+ in the primary and you have spectro in the trans and ride it. :s

I use syn3 in the primary,havent found any problem with it,Spectro Platinum in the tranny and Mobil1 V-twin in the engine.

Well I took it back to the dealer and they dignosed it to the belt being to tight. They loosend it up a touch and the noise is gone.

This makes me happy that the issue is resloved, but, angry as well.

I ensured that the belt was in spec before I took it in. I used the manual procedure and the 10 lbs force tool, and set it at 7/16 deflection which is at the high end of the spec. Now the belt is at 5/8 which is loose according to spec, but no loud, annoying noise.

So next time I do my maintaince and have to tighten the belt what spec do I use? I think the MOCO has a problem with there spec. I have read this else where here on the fourm as well.

By the way, I talked to the tech at the dealer and asked him about the spec and he had no idea about the numbers. He just losened it some. He looked shocked when I questioned him on the numbers. Other than that the dealer was great.

Back