free website stats program Ground clearance. | Harley Davidson Forums

Ground clearance.

ausibatla

G'day fellas,
just want to know if you can alter the ground clearance on a softail by adjusting the shocks. I've fitted a centre stand and it hits the ground with still 2" before the frame will scrape. I know with dirt bikes you can alter the ground clearance by adjusting the shock but I don't know if it will work on the Harley's setup of horizontal shocks.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers.
:cheers:AUSTRALIA

G'Day ausibatla,

I don't believe that adjusting the shocks will add ground clearance. On my 08 I have adjusted mine to the stiff side to keep from bottoming out when riding 2up.
Some of the more savvy guru's here will probably chime in on this one. Good Luck!

G'Day ausibatla,

I don't believe that adjusting the shocks will add ground clearance. On my 08 I have adjusted mine to the stiff side to keep from bottoming out when riding 2up.
Some of the more savvy guru's here will probably chime in on this one. Good Luck!
No trying to high jack this thread but could you PM me the setting your using on your rear shocks?my 2014 Fatboy bottoms out while riding 2up
WAP.gif

I don't know if it has a lowering kit, Jack. Have checked the instructions you led me to but my bike is not here at the moment but I don't think i'd know how to tell if the shocks were a lowering kit setup. Is there anyway one can tell by looking at them?
Cheers.

I don't know if it has a lowering kit, Jack. Have checked the instructions you led me to but my bike is not here at the moment but I don't think i'd know how to tell if the shocks were a lowering kit setup. Is there anyway one can tell by looking at them?Cheers.

Yes, but hard to explain via a post. Take a good picture and we can tell you if a lowering kit has been installed. You cannot adjust ride height with OEM shocks and you cannot increase travel with a lowering kit; only reduce travel. However, if the bike has been lowered you can return it to stock ride height.

Thanks for that info, dolt. When I get the bike back I'll take a photo that will show what they are and try to post it.
Cheers.

Ground clearance photo's

I don't know how to upload the photo's you guys wanted of the shocks on my bike. I've given you the link to them in my photobucket. Can anybody tell me if they are the lowering kit shocks or standard. If they are the lowering kit type how can I adjust them to raise the bike.

Harley Shocks Photos by ausibatla | Photobucket

Cheers.

:cheers :AUSTRALIA

Re: Ground clearance photo's

I moved the picture thread into the existing one to keep it all together.

Back