free website stats program Grip replacement | Harley Davidson Forums

Grip replacement

TexasFXD

I am replacing my handlebars on an '09 Superglide, one side is bent (don't ask). I also decided it would be a good time to replace the grips as well. I have gathered together the required parts, the 56081-82A handle bars and a set of 56006-88C "multi-fit" cushioned grips. My research tells me that these should fit the Dyna. My concern is that the left grip is very loose. It came with a tube of glue but before I attempt to install it, I want to be sure that the fit is correct. Reading other's experiences on the internet, it seems like the left grip should be a force fit. This one flops around and would fall off easily if not glued on. Does this sound right? The bars measure 1" with my calipers and the grips are supposed to fit 1" bars.

that does not sound right are you sure your using the correct side and its not a throttle side with out the mounting? and DO NOT USE THE GLUE
reason i say dont use the glue what happens if you have to remove it? you then have to cut it off, i always use super strength Hair spray just leave it 12hrs before riding

I'm sure I have the correct side, the throttle side is different and it has the attachments for the cables.

I realize that the left grip is clamped by the switch housing but it will still be quite loose.

Tex those are the right grips for your bike, usually the only complaint I've heard is there was no glue in the package, hobbit is right they should not be so loose as to flop around, it should slide on and off but not be so loose the glue will not hold it. May be a manufacturer defect like hobbit suggests.

Thanks for the advice Hobbit and Chopper.

I'm thinking I might just wrap the bar with some tape and press fit the grip without using the glue. I have some gaffer's tape that will not come off unless you want it to.

I too replaced my bars and installed new grips. Just like yours my left grip was really loose. Talked to the dealership and was told that was normal. They said they install them with gorilla glue because it foams as it drys to take up space. I used it and it works great. I felt like if I ever wanted the grips off, it would be because I intended to replace them. Just my opinion, and you know what they say about opinions.

that does not sound right are you sure your using the correct side and its not a throttle side with out the mounting? and DO NOT USE THE GLUE
reason i say dont use the glue what happens if you have to remove it? you then have to cut it off, i always use super strength Hair spray just leave it 12hrs before riding

I knew Hobbit had more uses for his hair spray than keeping his pretty locks in place...will this start another trend similar to glider & pledge???:s

Although I will use this tip when installing my new aileron grips...

Trust me, I can second the hair spray for the grips. :D I kept a small bottle in my tool box for my mtb too. Works great.

Thanks again to all for the info.

I'm probably over thinking this. I just want to make sure I have the right parts.

Hogtyd, it sounds like you had the exact same issues. I feel better about installing them now.

As soon as the record snowfall thaws here in Dallas! Over 8 inches today.:( It's pretty but after a freeze tonight the roads are going to be iced over.

Trust me, I can second the hair spray for the grips. :D I kept a small bottle in my tool box for my mtb too. Works great.

Sounds like Joy's equivalent endorsement for a grips or doo...! and agree with her and Hobbit it works and is a winner! :s and similar to Gllider"s level of stock in Johnson & Johnson!!! :newsmile093:

Twisty grips on a mtb is a bad deal in the woods. Nothing worse than bahaing down a hill at warp speed, then you pull up hard on the handlebars and all of a sudden the grip pops off & you are holding a grip in the air getting ready for an ugly crash. :( As said before, don't ask me how I know. :)

Back