free website stats program Grinding noise when coming to a stop | Harley Davidson Forums

Grinding noise when coming to a stop

Bad Daddy

Heeellllpppp!!!! 3rd post, and its a gooder.

I have a 2002 FLSTCI, and I bought it used. I also bought it without riding it.
Didnt have my licence, nor had I ridden I bike when I went to look at it.
Made sure it had all the records, etc.

Here is the problem----

When I come to a stop, and I am in 3rd or 2nd gear, if I pull in the clutch as I start to brake, and use the front brake, it is all good.

If I do the same as above, and use the rear brake for a little more stopping power, I get a grinding sound. The pads are new. They have been replaced in the last year. I think the previous owner thought it was brake related, because in 15000 miles, he has replaced the rear brakes twice....

If I start braking and use the front and rear as above, and then pull in the clutch, I dont get that noise...

I dont think it is the brakes, I do think it is something in the transmission.
I did drain the transmission oil after a ride, and only oil came out. Not a bit of metal...

It sounds like when the rear brake is used, it causes something to partially engage in the transmission....If I use the front only, I dont get the sound....

I am wondering if it is something like a shift fork, or ???

Any thoughts?

I think I would start by removing the rear brakes and inspecting the entire assembly for any signs of rubbing.

I would never dream of second guessing Glider or Fisher , but if the noise stops when the clutch cable is pulled in , might this not indicate a clutch that is partially engaged ???

I should read things twice.Didn't catch that when I read it.Man sounds are tough enough to diagnose when you can hear them.Now I'm clueless.

I'm still inclined to think brake, but maybe the trans sprocket is causing the problem or belt noises?
Like Fisher said, to hear the noise makes it much easier to help out.

Thanks guys for the input...

If I were to describe the sound, it would sound like a two gears, juuuuust touching, but not engaging....

I feel it through the brake pedal, but it doesnt sound like a brake pad thang.

More garage and diagnosis time. If I can figure out a way to record the sound,
and post it, I will...

BD

if ya can jack it up and turn the tire by hand and see if ya feel anything and then have someone push the the brake lightly..

If you have a way Jack it up so the rear tire is clear of the ground strap the bike down and fire it up pop it in about 3rd gear let it pick up some speed then slowly apply the brake to see if you can get a better ideal where it comes from ...

Course be very careful and no fingers and hands near the turn parts .. It will be a little easier to hear the noise than riding down the road and trying to hear it ..

i am having the same problem with me flstc 08 and it is driving me crazy, I am hoping someone actually finds this problem and finshes the post with the answer.

thanks,

David

Teacher, teacher, may I ask a question here? :s My first guess would be the brakes, but, when I was starting out on my suzuki 200 dual sport (1986 though), I had a bad bearing. I did most of my first 1500 motorcycle miles primarily using only the front brake.

We had looked at the brakes, chain, etc, but didn't see anything. The bike would make a grinding type noise when braking. This was also worse at higher speeds. It turned out to be a bad bearing in the rear wheel. Could this be a similar problem?

Now, I will also throw in that since Heritage105th is experiencing a similar problem I would kind of doubt he is experiencing a bearing problem, but I guess anything is possible. BTW, I was on a 20 year old bike and I think it may have @ 7000 miles on it. It was either 4700 or 7400 miles, my dual sport only weighs about 300 pounds. I realize they are very different bikes, but the symptoms are very similar. :s

Back