free website stats program Greets from Okie land 2008 FLHX with a problem | Harley Davidson Forums

Greets from Okie land 2008 FLHX with a problem

T-Ray

Greetings

So what else is new. A newbe posting first time with a problem.

I have been lurking and reading for some time but with nothing I felt worth adding.

Motor poor owner of
1961 Honda 161 - runs needs brought back up to snuff
1963 Harly XLCH 900 Sport - runs hard and strong after new rebuild
Two 1978 Triumph 750 Bonnies - Both in project status
And current ride/problem child 2008 FLHX

Great bike 14k + miles on it. 70+% of which is highway miles to and from work, 700+ miles driveway to driveway one way. More on that for a later time.

Yesterday I rolled it out of the garage and started it. Went and opened the gate to the garage, closed and locked the garage and put on my leather, it is almost winter here afterall. This is pretty much normal idle time to get a little heat in the head. Pulled out then stopped 3 doors down to talk to a friend for a few with the bike shut off. Started it again and went about 200 feet and it died. Flat line. No dash, horn, lights, nothing.

All fuses good. Relay's check I think, or all 3 went at the same time. Battery is at 12.6+. Both battery cables look fine. Not sure how to check the ECM.

I have been here long enough, but have not posted enough to download any of the many manuals that everybody is good enough to post here. As I said I have been lurking, this is my first.

I bought a Touring model Service Manual when I bought the bike, so I am not totaly without something to lean on, but I need something or someone to flip the switch, because with computers on motors I am in the shade at the best if not totally in the dark.

Any pointers, help, directions are more than appriciated.

Again, Greets from Okie land
T-Ray

I am a fair wrench with a good tree and only one or two out of the six pack, after that all bets are off

Is that 12.6 with a load test? If surface voltage is 12.6, under load the battery can be bad.

Check the voltage @ the battery when you hit the starter , bet you have a bad battery

Thanks Jack and dbmg for the instant replies. Voltage is at in bike with switch on. There is nothing no whirr of pressure building in fuel system and other than a twitch in the speedo and tach, nothing nada flat lined.

Load test battery. If battery needs replaced make sure to add a tender lead to cables and use a tender when bike is parked to achieve longer battery life.

I will take it and have load test put on it in the AM. But shouldn't there be enough voltage at the 12.6 to atleast power the dash/radio/fuel pump ??? Service manual says 12.6 is 75%.

Thanks
Lost in the ozone again

Just for the heck of it check the ground at the frame. Clean it and put it back together. Can't hurt, may help.

Thanks Joe
One of the first things I did after looking at fuses and checking voltage was clean leads on both lines at both ends.

Thanks

and in the for what it is worth collumn Battery is about 6 months old H-D replacement. I know new means nothing, but.....

Thanks

You said all fuses were OK. Just wondering if you checked the Maxi_Fuse? That would kill everything if it went. Next question is if it blew, what caused it?

Hey Joe
Yep Maxi fuse big orange honker. 40 Amp. it's fine too.

Thanks
The more I know the less I understand

Back