free website stats program Great lead to follow | Harley Davidson Forums

Great lead to follow

billyd1

I changed the tranny fluid on my '09 RKC after about 10,000 miles following Gliders lead.:worthy I can confirm that there are noticeable improvements in shifting. It is notably Quieter and easier to shift. The shearing forces must be fierce in there! Considering the ease of changing (can be done on the jiffy stand with a quick straddle leveling at the end of draining to get the last few drops out), and the low cost, I'll always do it at 10 instead of 20,000. Cheap insurance for sure.:s I warmed it up and placed a brick under the stand to level it more before draining. Don't forget to wipe any oil off that gets on the frame under there it only takes a few seconds. Lets ride!

Yep, my next tranny dump & fill will be w/Spectro 6-speed so I can cure some of the annoying whine.

Yep, my next tranny dump & fill will be w/Spectro 6-speed so I can cure some of the annoying whine.

Just changed mine. Got the bike back from the HD Dealership after the tranny rebuild. 77,435 miles when they rebuilt it, 77,474 when I changed the fluid. They had put HD Formula + in it. Not bad stuff for the primary, but does not belong in the tranny. 39 miles was probably not too long to do any damage! :s

TQ

I warmed it up and placed a brick under the stand to level it more before draining.

Be careful! Placing a brick under the jiffy stand puts the bike much closer to unintentionally tipping the other way. I just drain as much as possible while on the stand and then get on the bike and tip it away from the stand to drain the rest.

The whine is inherent, 5th speed gears are straight cut.
I don't mind the whine, it let's me know I'm not in 4th or 6th.

Al

:USA
:CONNECTICUT

The whine is inherent, 5th speed gears are straight cut.
I don't mind the whine, it let's me know I'm not in 4th or 6th.

Al

:USA
:CONNECTICUT

I would agree although the spectro took care of most of the noise. I get the light for 6th and the bit of noise for 5th. Looking at the tach confirms the rest.

I change my fluids as follows:

engine.....every 2500 miles.....Mobile 1 V Twin
primary....every 5000 miles.....HD formula +
tranny.....every 5000 miles.....Red Line Shockproof Heavy

I know some say this is overkill on the tranny but I feel it's cheap insurance and makes me comfortable :)

I change my fluids as follows:

engine.....every 2500 miles.....Mobile 1 V Twin
primary....every 5000 miles.....HD formula +
tranny.....every 5000 miles.....Red Line Shockproof Heavy

I know some say this is overkill on the tranny but I feel it's cheap insurance and makes me comfortable :)

I started the same intervals.. ITS cheap enough !!!:D

Back