free website stats program Greasing neck bearings | Harley Davidson Forums

Greasing neck bearings

Yotee

When greasing the neck bearings, what brand of grease have you guys found that doesn't melt and run down the forks when the temperatures get real hot in the summer.

Thanks,

Depends on how hot it gets where you live here in Fla. they all do.

bodeen

Bodeen's answer makes sense. I have penzoil chassis and bearing grease in mine, it will ooze some.
kemo

"I use marine wheel bearing grease for ALL the grease-points on my bike. Water resistant, corrosion resistant, and cheaper than the HD branded stuff. Get it at WalMart in the sporting goods section. Solanki"

I have used what Solanki recommended here on the forum. Walmart Marine grade grease. I have not had one drip at all this summer. Even after a 300 mile day in 95 degree temp all day.

Depends on how hot it gets where you live here in Fla. they all do.

bodeen

Wait a minute, where have I heard that before( they all do) LOL, sorry bodeen I could not help myself:p

Wait a minute, where have I heard that before( they all do) LOL, sorry bodeen I could not help myself:p

Yeah Jack, I guess it sounds like some of the dealers answers to problems guy's are having. I didn't mean to come across like that but I believe as hot as it gets here, anything grease is going to run. Its all good............

Bodeen

Yeah Jack, I guess it sounds like some of the dealers answers to problems guy's are having. I didn't mean to come across like that but I believe as hot as it gets here, anything grease is going to run. Its all good............

Bodeen

No problem here,its just ironic how the Stealers want us to be like sheep and take that for an answer, SEE u in Daytona? Jack:p

"I use marine wheel bearing grease for ALL the grease-points on my bike. Water resistant, corrosion resistant, and cheaper than the HD branded stuff. Get it at WalMart in the sporting goods section. Solanki"

I have used what Solanki recommended here on the forum. Walmart Marine grade grease. I have not had one drip at all this summer. Even after a 300 mile day in 95 degree temp all day.

+1 on the marine grease

Lucas Red 'n Tacky #2 grease which you can pick up at Advance Auto. Its colored red which helps you see it when it starts oozing out from the steering neck column bearings. I've not had a problem with it running due to heat.

It will come out from the bottom bearing area first. I think it was NewHD74 that suggested using a shoe string wrapped around the base of the steering neck to clamp that area off to some degree, as if you don't the grease won't get worked up to the top of the neck bearing. Worked real nice for that and you'll eventually see it begin to ooze out from the top bearing.

Takes about 1/2 tube or more before you get everything properly lubed. So you'll pump for a while, but that's the norm.

No problem here,its just ironic how the Stealers want us to be like sheep and take that for an answer, SEE u in Daytona? Jack:p

I sure hope to make it, Jack. Trying to knock back the "Honey Do list" now. I may even try to hit Sanford for a day.

Bodeen

Back