free website stats program GPS wire routing | Harley Davidson Forums

GPS wire routing

DynaBike

I have an old Nuvi 200 and a handle bar mount that seems to work well on my bike... the problem is power. Battery life without power is not good at all. I have everything I need to connect. Garmin's auto adapter cable, a Harley battery tender cable attached to my battery (usually on the tender), a cable with a battery tender plug on one end and a female cigarette lighter adapter on the other.... when I hook this all together, it works fine, but I'm not real happy about cable routing. It would be a lot easier if it were not for the big cigarette lighter male power converter plug & female plug. Anyone else ever run this cabling ? Permanently or temporarily ? TIA

I installed a outlet on the horn nut (bought the package from local HD dealer) flush mount with body tucked underneath the tank. It is plugged to the battery tender outlet for power. In winter I will just unplug it and hook up the tender. I am sure you can do the same with a male/female end and plug it the same way. I bought the plug end from Radio Shack and dumped the cig. lighter (male plug). Heat shrink all the wires and run it under the tank- best as possible and out of sight all the way to the GPS. .

Good luck.

Titu.

Have you considered wiring it directly to the battery? Using your car GPS adapter, splice and connect with or without the tenders direct to the battery and just route your wires. When you have the GPS mounted & plugged in ( you will draw power) if it is not connected then you are not drawing any power from your battery. Or you can also just have the tender connection close up the wiring to your GPS power input.

You can also add and inline fuse. (kragen or Auto zone)

Just an Idea...

You need to be careful hooking up some GPS directy to the battery without the cigarette lighter [or similar connection]. Many units run on around 5 volts and the standard car connector steps down the voltage.

Back