free website stats program GPS Power on Fatboy | Harley Davidson Forums

GPS Power on Fatboy

I am getting my new Fatboy Lo 2011 ready for the season and I want to mount my GPS to the bars.

I am planing on ordering the mount from Ram-Mount but I am trying to sort out power.

I would like to add a cigarette plug so it can be used for anything.
From my searching it looks like HD does not make one for this bike.
I just stumbled across this unit:

SW-MOTECH flush-mount 12-volt Cigarette-style socket with fused battery hookup harness

And this mount:

SW-MOTECH Handlebar Mounting Bracket for flush-mount 12-volt Cigarette-style socket

Looks pretty good to me.
Has anyone used / install this... or anything like this?

I am plannning on adding an alarm too, so will ask the dealer to install it for me so the wires are nice and neat.

Thanks!

in the link to the bracket it says will not fit oversize bars like 1" or larger i thought most harleys had 1" or larger bars so to me wont fit

Brian

HD makes a #72673-11 "electrical connection update kit" for your bike. HD's #91843-97 "supplemental power point" looks like it uses the same connector as the "e.c. update kit", so you could use the supplemental power point. It should not be difficult to make an inconspicious and sturdy mount for it. The Kuryakyn mount is ok looking, but the bars will get cluttered looking IMO.

HD makes a #72673-11 "electrical connection update kit" for your bike. HD's #91843-97 "supplemental power point" looks like it uses the same connector as the "e.c. update kit", so you could use the supplemental power point. It should not be difficult to make an inconspicious and sturdy mount for it. The Kuryakyn mount is ok looking, but the bars will get cluttered looking IMO.

i agree with breeze on the clutter. i have a GPS mounted and just use the battery until i can find a nice clean way to run power, thinking of j..ust coming straight from the battery since the cable is such a small gauge. battery only lasts a few hours so it is off and on a lot

Küryakyn setup is clean and very nice, but if you are on a lower "budget" $30 is about the cost of the H-D power point and the 4 plug 3-way connector or wire your own as shown below:

Hideaway Accessory Cable

Küryakyn has an accessory mount that you can mount your GPSS for about $50 also, but RAM mounts are very popular and are about $99.

The HD kit looks like a great option.
I called my dealer to check on them and they found the parts needed.
So all on order.

I wonder if there is a way to attach some magnets to a USB cable.
The GPS uses a USB to power like most things these days.

So my thought was to get a basic 12v USB adapter something like this

tn844s3.jpg

Then get a long enough USB and add some magnets, then I can just run the cable along the frame / tank when the GPS is on the bike.
Yank it off and store when done.

Perhaps a few of these:

[URL="http://exit.hdtimeline.com/postid359579"]KJ Magnetics - Products
[/URL]

And Ziptie the cable to the magnets.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back