free website stats program GPS or Phone In Cigarette Lighter? | Harley Davidson Forums

GPS or Phone In Cigarette Lighter?

Dr. Dolittle

Experienced Member
Contributor
Retired Moderators
My 2008 FLHX owner's manual states:

"The lighter is not intended to be used as a power port for electrical devices. Damage to the lighter receptacle may occur."

I'm not an electrician so I can't make any sense of the service manual wiring diagrams and I can't find any info about the lighter's capacity. Is the manual talking about electrical damage or physical damage to the actual receptacle because it's not very sturdy?

It's 12 volt DC right? Same as the cigarette lighter in a car right? Any reason I can't plug a GPS or cell phone into it if I don't want to go through the trouble of hard wiring these items somewhere?

What is the HD power port all about? Just a stouter built version of the lighter?

Thanks - like I said I'm not an electrician if you haven't figured that out yet!

Hi Doc,
I used the lighter outlet for a while before I put in a dual outlet, one for the Sirius, and one for the radar detector. I had no problems at all electrically, except be careful turning the wheel all the way left, whatever you have plugged in can hit the gas tank and get damaged or the tank scratched.

Lancer, Smitty - thanks guys! I had a feeling it wouldn't be a big deal to run something in there just like a car. HD lawyers probably made them add that paragraph for just what Lancer mentioned.

Lancer, Smitty - thanks guys! I had a feeling it wouldn't be a big deal to run something in there just like a car. HD lawyers probably made them add that paragraph for just what Lancer mentioned.

You are correct. It is probably for liability reasons. The "Cigarette Lighter Receptacle" is the one with white ceramic insulator so it will not burn; whereas an "Accessory Outlet" uses bakelite, fiberglass or similar material, which may scorch.

If you install an outlet, make sure you fuse it properly (15A) & use ceramic insulator type just in case someone plugs in a pop out lighter in it, not knowing the difference.:bigsmiley28:

Back