free website stats program GPS mounting position | Harley Davidson Forums

GPS mounting position

orange68

I have a 09 ultra Classic and have a question about mounting the GPS. I have a barefoot willies cup holder mounted on the left (clutch) side of the bars and this is the only location I can mount the GPS handlebar mount. The wiring is in the way on the right (throttle) side. For folks that have GPS how do you mount both or can you. There is no room avail to mount both from what I have tried.
I have the handle bar mound and the suction cup mound and can't seem to find aplace without removeing the cup holder.
I want both mounted if possible.
Please let me know what some folks out there are doing if you have this same issue.

I to have the 09 Ultra. my cup holder is on the left clutch side and my zumo is mounted on the right hand side. works well

found a pic of my set up with the xm radio, zumo and cup holder

Last edited by a moderator:
Orange68 have you tried this web site ram-mount.com, I have used them a couple of times. Great product and great service.

Do consider the GPS on the left side, as it allows you to keep your throttle hand steady...should the need to punch up something on your GPS (do come to a complete stop or pull over when you do this), it is just much more convenient when changing things on the fly..

I too use the Ram mounts as recommended by Orange 68. My GPS is mounted on the left side by the clutch lever which is where you should keep the GPS IMO. If you aren't really that partial to keeping your drink holder where you now have it you could remove it and do as I have, get the lower Saddlebag Guard Bag and Water Bottle Holder 91991-98 ($79.95). This will free up some handle bar room for you to get the aforementioned Ram mount.
Or, if you must have the cup holder where it is now as is your preference, you could-and this will be a little more expensive, remove your stock mirrors and get the inner fairing mirrors like I have. You will then have the mounting holes from the removed mirrors where you can buy a Ram Mount that fits in the place of your old mirror for mounting your GPS! Hope that helps. As far as the Saddle Bag drink holder goes, it works well. Every morning when I pull up on my bike to the drive through to get my coffee, I simple place the hot coffee in the drink holder and it wedges the tapered cup nicely i the holder without coming loose! Naturally you can put a water bottle or thermos in there if you like.

I also like the RAM mounts. You can get a double ball mount that attaches to your clutch perch and mount GPS and cup holder. I liked mine so much I got one for the right side and now can mount a radar detector and camera if I want. Those things are so great. :D

Only thing, now my bike is starting to look like a Gold Wing with all the gadgets mounted on the bars.:25:

Looks like I will haver to give RAM mounts a call tomorrow AM. They seem to have many mounts available.
I would like to keep my cup hulder on the clutch side and then mound the GPS on that side as well. Any one have part numbers from RAM that will do this

Side note: This is really what is great about this site as there is no need to re invent the wheel as some on this site has already done so. Thanks again for all the suggestions.

You could mount it on the fairing using the Harley mount if you have a Zumo GPS. Then you can mount any thing you want on the handlebars.

Attachments

• gps mount.jpg
    gps mount.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 130
  • gps mount 2.jpg
    gps mount 2.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 118
as noted before, my gps is on the right side. i adjust on the fly when necessary with my left hand and able to keep right hand on the throttle. or if i'm on cruise i can also adjust with the right. what ever side works for you go with it.

ram mounts give you many different mounting options. zumo came with one.

On both of my bikes I have the GPS mounted on the left using the HD handlebar mount. I have mounted CruiserCaddy drink holders on the right. The gps is much easier to handle on the left, especially since it gets more attention underway than the drink holder.

Back