free website stats program Got some money to burn | Harley Davidson Forums

Got some money to burn

Old Fart looking for some suggestions.......
My 07 Low Rider is closing in on 40k miles. Doing alot of riding in my retirement. Very happy with my first modern Harley. Running great right now. Been running synthetic in all three holes since I got her @ 25k. Love long (1000+ miles) trips. Exterior wise, pretty much everything is the way I want it (Seat, bags, windshield, etc).
I have a couple of thousand dollars which I recently ran into.
Now I am not the type to do any engine mods so I'm looking for some suggestions on where to put some of this money. Not looking for more HP, just roadability and reliability.
And are there any mechanical surprises that show up in a Low Riders middle age?
Here's a couple of things I am considering.
1. Complete cam gear drive system
2. Oil cooler (I am in the Southwest desert)
3. Tranny teardown and inspection.
4. Throttle and clutch cables (Had a clutch cable break on my last bike)

You all are far more experienced on Harleys than I am and your opinions would be appreciated. I only do light maintenance and the local Indie or the HD shop would have to do anything else.
Thanks, Joe

Roadability:

1. Oil cooler is probably a good idea considering where you live
2. Are you happy with your current seat, grips, backrest, etc. Critical stuff if you're doing 1000+ mile trips
3. Tires need replacing?
4. Are you due for some new luggage or overnight bags?
5. Ever thought about upgrading your shocks and/or forks?
6. New, brighter headlight or add some running lights?

Aside from the bike, I'd also consider splurging and maybe spending some money on yourself. Helmet, boots, gloves, jacket? Ever thought about taking an advanced rider's course?

Roadability:

1. Oil cooler is probably a good idea considering where you live
2. Are you happy with your current seat, grips, backrest, etc. Critical stuff if you're doing 1000+ mile trips
3. Tires need replacing?
4. Are you due for some new luggage or overnight bags?
5. Ever thought about upgrading your shocks and/or forks?
6. New, brighter headlight or add some running lights?

Aside from the bike, I'd also consider splurging and maybe spending some money on yourself. Helmet, boots, gloves, jacket? Ever thought about taking an advanced rider's course?
Dr. Dolittle,
Thanks for the comeback.

The first mod to my Low Rider was a Mustang cruising seat and I love it. Can ride all day with no problems. Backrest and grips are a good idea. On long trips my leather backpack is my backrest. Tires are relatively new and my bags and luggage are great. I've spent some good money on my riding gear already and have taken an advanced M/C course on my previous bike.
My forks and shocks are Harley stock. Is there room for improvement there? I like a smooth ride at my age. And most of my riding is straight and fast.
Joe

My forks and shocks are Harley stock. Is there room for improvement there? I like a smooth ride at my age. And most of my riding is straight and fast.
Joe

Lots of riders are real happy with upgrading to Progressive shocks and/or forks:

Motorcycle Suspension :: Motorcycle Springs :: Progressive Suspension

I had the shocks on my Sportster and loved them. They're on my short list of improvements yet to be done on my Street Glide.

I'd give Progressive a call and tell them what your goals are. Sounds like you've got most of the other bases covered!

I recently upgraded the front forks to the Progressive cartridges and they are a tremendous upgrade over stock.

Having ridding through the Southwest in temperatures over 115 degrees, I second the suggestion of an oil cooler. They work fine while you are moving but are of limited value when you are stopped. If you do a lot of riding in cities where you have to stop for traffic jams, road construction, etc. you might look into oil coolers with built in fans that are thermostatically controlled.

Most of my riding IS on rural and Interstates. The closest bigger town is 60 miles away. The oil cooler is pretty high on my list.
Will look closely into the progressives.
Thanks!

If you are interested in upgrading your head light I highly recommend Kuryakyn's new LED headlight. I got one for Fathers Day and it is nothing short of amazing. I still cannot get over how much more I can see now. I know it is a little spendy, I probably would never have bought it for myself, but it really is a vast improvement over the stock headlight.

Back