free website stats program Got a Chirp | Harley Davidson Forums

Got a Chirp

Caper

A couple of weeks ago when going up an exit ramp I got a chirp when I geared down and let the clutch out, didn't happen when I just backed off the throttle. It only happened that day, until yesterday, when I got home and as I turned off the bike it chirped. Most of my riding has been in cold 40- 50F and wet going back and forth to work 60 mile round trip.
40* today but not raining... yet anyway, I'll see if it does it again.
The front exhaust nut and stud are pretty rusty, looks like it's never been off, I'm thinking an exhaust leak....any other ideas?? Thanks.

Drive Belt needs to be tightened. The rain will dampen squeaks in the belt, where the dry weather will make squeaks more pronounced.

The squeal/chirp came from the engine area,it's not a head gasket leak and I'm thinking now it could be the rubber mounts, no chirp or squeal yesterday and no rain. Is it possible it's the motor mounts 'cause they are full of dirty road spray??The loudest squeal I heard the bike wasn't moving, it was when I killed the engine.

Caper ,try washing the mounts,then spraying them with dry silicone spray.While you are at it do the exhaust mount rubbers.

Yeah Steve ,good plan..altho I should try washing the whole bike:s...my buds stopped calling it "cop king" and started calling it "dirty cop bike". At a set of lights yesterday I leaned over to try get an idea where the noise was coming from and there was all kinds of chirpin/squeakin goin on, thats what makes me now think its the mounts.

My 2002 RKC seems to have the same problem - started out the same way with a chirp when I killed the engine. It's a bit more talkative now though. I thought it was an exhaust leak, and I'm not so sure that that isn't part of the problem. The exhaust sounds sharper - seems to bark more. Thanks for your description - I didn't know how to describe it until I saw your post, but that's exactly what it sounds like. I'll look into the engine mounts as well as the pipes. Out of curiosity, what's the life expectancy of a set of Screaming Eagle mufflers? I have less than 14K on my bike, so I'm guessing rust could be a problem...

good you found your's...was it at the Y?? i can see how that could be a weak link,how common is cracking at the weld there??

Back