free website stats program Going from ChainDrive to Belt | Harley Davidson Forums

Going from ChainDrive to Belt

tourbox

Well a few days ago I decided to change my '73 Shovel from a rear chain drive to a Belt drive. Less maintenance, vibration & noise with the belt. I had a few parts on hand but had to gather a few others.
Primary from a '84 FLHP,ordered new starter mounting set up, 4 speed pulley among other small things.
Well I changed my tranny, a while back, from a 4 speed to a Rev-Tech 5 speed in a 4 speed case wit kicker. Little did I know the inside diameter of the pulley for the main drive gear was smaller than the main drive gear(5th. gear) on the Rev-tech. Problem solved with a Karata pulley. Got that sized up today.
I had a new thread awhile back called New Project Bike that has pics of the '73. Here are some pics for the conversion. More to come, work still in progress.
Original Primary
1 1/2" rear pulley
New Karata tranny pulley

The belt and pulleys will last a lot longer than a chain and sprockets
There is always a problem if you don't buy a specific kit for the job or any previous changes have been made I have fallen foul of that situations a few times it is always a pest when you are all full into a job and you get to that oh bother moment that is why some of us have at least 1 spare bike for when the other is awaiting parts
Good Job

Brian

Thanks guys. As stated by others, there is always a few little things you didn't count on. But it is coming along.
And yes I have another bike(2) while waiting on parts. I taking the '12 dresser tomorrow to Big Bend. Too far to ride my Hard Tail at my age, which is for sale. So if you don't here from me I'm still having fun. Plan to take a few pics also.
tourbox

You just enjoy the opportunity to ride whichever bike takes you fancy for the next ride and the parts will soon be with you to complete the project then we will get more pics of how it is going

Brian

Back