free website stats program Glider's Fork Oil Contraption | Harley Davidson Forums

Glider's Fork Oil Contraption

Dr. Dolittle

Experienced Member
Contributor
Retired Moderators
OK, I've read this at least a dozen times:

Easy Fork Oil Change On Baggers - Archive - Harley Davidson Community

I bought a Mity Vac today and the SE Heavy Duty Fork Oil. Now I just need to fashion the device that Glider made and has pictures of in the above link.

That's where my problem begins. Those of you who know anything about me know I'm well below average mechanically. I'm willing to try just about anything and I've learned a lot in the years I've been a member here.

So now I have to beg for some help. Can someone (probably Sir Glider himself) post the exact list of items I will need to purchase at my friendly ACE Hardware store to construct this wonderful device. Then maybe step by step instructions on putting it together. Maybe even some photos of it being used.

I know, I don't ask for much, do I? :newsmile100:

The good news is there's no hurry - not planning to do this service anytime in the immediate future.

Thanks!

If I read the article correctly you cannot use this device on forks produced after 01. In 02 the MOCO replaced the air shocks with a cartridge type on the right side. Gliders device (shame on you for calling it a contraption) only seems to work on the older air type forks.

:DCartridge forks started in '02 on the left side of the touring models with fairings only. FLHT, FLHTPI, Ultras, etc. Starting with the 06 bikes, the cartridge forks have been replaced with the normal oil type lower legs on both sides again.

All the parts needed and dimensions are in the post in the self help forum.

The hardest part of the whole thing is drilling straight through the metric bolt to make the adapter for the "contraption":D to attach to. It may take more than once to get one that is fairly straight and doesn't come out the side if you don't have a drill press and do it by hand.

Sorry Glider I didn't read down far enough. I've got an 05 so I knew I couldn't use your method. I'll try to get all the facts before I jump in. I've read the whole post now and it does seem to be an almost foolproof way to change the fork oil, just wish it would work on the cartridge type.

The hardest part of the whole thing is drilling straight through the metric bolt to make the adapter for the "contraption":D to attach to. It may take more than once to get one that is fairly straight and doesn't come out the side if you don't have a drill press and do it by hand.[/QUOTE]

I found a Grease fitting with same Tread configuration will work also. depending on the bike as to the drain screw size. Take the drain screw to a local NAPA store & get a "Long" style grease fitting & you'll be good to go...

All the parts needed and dimensions are in the post in the self help forum.

I guess I'm just super challenged then. The photos show the whole thing put together. I was hoping for an "exploded" diagram showing all the parts laid out linearly prior to assembly. But then if you did it off the top of your head then that's where the diagram is - in your head!

I'll devote a day to messing around and probably get pretty close. Really need to find someone nearby with a drill press mostly.

The hardest part of the whole thing is drilling straight through the metric bolt to make the adapter for the "contraption":D to attach to. It may take more than once to get one that is fairly straight and doesn't come out the side if you don't have a drill press and do it by hand.

I found a Grease fitting with same Tread configuration will work also. depending on the bike as to the drain screw size. Take the drain screw to a local NAPA store & get a "Long" style grease fitting & you'll be good to go...[/QUOTE]

Mis-spoke... Not a grease fitting, a Brake Bleed screw :(

Back