free website stats program ghost in my machine | Harley Davidson Forums

ghost in my machine

overboard

Hello Everyone,Couldnt afford a softail so settled for a custom .Got on the cheap or so i thought until it has started to nickle/dime me, times 1000.
Its a 2000 ultra gound pounder with a 113 s&s.When i got it was missfiring badly on the rear cylinder so i took it to a friend of a friend and he replaced the voltage regulator,stator and ignition with matching coil.I did find a loose ground and tightened it back up
It ran fine for a couple of weeks.Was on a short trip to town and it seemed to just die like the ele system just shut off.coasted over and starter wouldnt even click, nothing.The headlight was working fine turn signals fine.Called a friend with a trailer to get the trailer queen back home and when he got there fired right up like nothing ever happened.
I took apart the run switch and looked over most of the wiring under the tank swapped out some of the relays tryed it again same thing dead on the road waited this time for it to cool and rode it home It seems like 4 miles is the mark of when it happens thats how far it is to town from my house.

Any help would be greatly appriciated !!!

Does the bike have a the circuit breakers on it? If it does they are famous for heating up and failing, cooling off and working. Replace it.
Welcome to the forum too!

Welcome to The Forum. First off what ignition system do you have? I would check the wires there first, make sure you have power where you should and NO pinched wires, pay attention to any modules as in if you have a cone triggered pick up

I did swap around some of the same amp breakers guess i will buy some new ones.He replaced the crane hi4 ignition with a ultima and matching ultima single fire coil.I wish i could get the wiring diagram but none available since ultra closing their door and the new owners not talking to the old buyers.
What componets run off the same system as the starter and the ignition?Thought about bypassing the kill switch but hate to strip off the wiring harness cover as id guess it would be a bear to get a cover back on ie unwiring the whole bike.Thanks for all the imput guess i will keep testing. iIts getting nice here now and ive missed a few oppertune days that i had off to ride

The drag pipes do wrap around the ignition .Felt warm to the touch last time it shut down but not hot.

Attachments

• IMG_0325.JPG
    IMG_0325.JPG
    276.8 KB · Views: 34
Last edited by a moderator:
I did swap around some of the same amp breakers guess i will buy some new ones.He replaced the crane hi4 ignition with a ultima and matching ultima single fire coil.I wish i could get the wiring diagram but none available since ultra closing their door and the new owners not talking to the old buyers.
What componets run off the same system as the starter and the ignition?Thought about bypassing the kill switch but hate to strip off the wiring harness cover as id guess it would be a bear to get a cover back on ie unwiring the whole bike.Thanks for all the imput guess i will keep testing. iIts getting nice here now and ive missed a few oppertune days that i had off to ride

The drag pipes do wrap around the ignition .Felt warm to the touch last time it shut down but not hot.

http://www.ultimaproducts.com/53-643_53-644.pdf This it? Check the wires are not burned up:s

I took off the ignition nose cone and the wires seemed ok no melt or pinch.

One of the three wires to the main ignition switch was very hot so i followed it to a breaker that was also hot.Unplugged the relay wire at the starter silinoid and the wire at the ignition switch seemed to cool off pluged it back in and it heated up again hmm.Took the wire off the hot breaker once it was cooled down and when i went to plug it back in it sparked a little.

Could it be that the starter silinoid is shorted out causing the ignition breaker to pop.The only porblem with that theory is that the starter does work when i jump start the bike as it is now draining my batterie to where i have to jump it.

It was just grey at both the ignition switch and the breaker.

That's strange. I don't ever remember seeing a solid gray wire on any HD ignition switch from 2000 and up. Does it look like home made wiring changes were made to the harness?. Would you have a factory service manual to cross check it.

Back