free website stats program Getting the back wheel off the deck single-handed | Harley Davidson Forums

Getting the back wheel off the deck single-handed

IronKiwi

There are a coupla jobs (timing and valve clearances) on a sporty that require getting the rear wheel off the ground and for ages my neighbour (1994 Evo) and I (1980 Ironhead) struggled, sweated and swore getting the bike in position and stable.

And some jobs couldn't be done if one or other of us was not at home...

If you can't afford a proper workbench here is what we found.....get two blocks of wood that when stacked on each other give you the correct height.

Mine are two lumps of railway sleeper.

Slide the first block under the back end of the frame cradle and keep the other close to hand.

Get a car jack and jack the right hand side frame member up, sit the jack just aft of the cross member under the gearbox.....the bike will tilt over and lean on its side stand and the back wheel will start to lift. once there is sufficient clearance for the 2nd block, slide it under the rear of the frame cradle and then jack the bike down.

If you get it right (and it usually works first go) the bike will sit up true on the blocks and be stable enough to work on.

Back