free website stats program Getting Fuel under gas gauge | Harley Davidson Forums

Getting Fuel under gas gauge

Snowman831

Hello all, I am a newbie here.
I have a 99 FLHRCI fuel injected. Last winter I put on new tins, but they were from a 00 fuelie. I had to remove everything and with some basic internal welds it was all said and done. I went from the my 99 stock gas gauge to the nice Kuryakan flush gauge. Everything was a simple switch over except the plate that is connected to the float that sits under the gage. I had to drill a bit larger hole under the gauge in order to drop the float into the tank. When I go to fill up now, that whole cup fills up with fuel and I get a huge leak, and actually created a minor fire, but thats a different story. There is nothing botched or rigged.

To be clear it goes:
gauge, 2 wires from gauge to circular mounting disk that leads to float and fuel pump inside tank, circular disc does not sit in tank.

Any ideas or suggestions that are real world I would gladly appreciate.

Where exactly did you drill this hole?

There's a gasket under the disc that the wires attach to from the gauge, is it leaking because of the hole you drilled or is it the gasket leaking?

that might make sense. I dont have a gasket. There was a hole already prefabed about 1.5" or so wide. I had to make it a bit bigger to get the float assembly to barely fit through it. I dont remember seeing a gasket with the new gauge.

I would think with that setup there should be a gasket or the fuel would go through the tube where the wires pass through and drip on the engine.

that's a bit of what happened yesterday and I was seconds from a huge meltdown. I just ran out there and checked, there is no gasket. I also checked the install instructions on the Kuryakn site. I dont see one that came with it either. my old tank has a 3/4 moon shape cut out with 3 threaded holes for screws. No gasket though. any thoughts?

There is definitely a gasket that goes under the fuel sending unit and it has special screws with built in plast sleeves that help it all seal. I also pulled mine out of my tank when I painted it and put it back with new gasket but old screws. Leaked and because the wires pass thru tube in tank out bottom the pocket drains out onto your motor. Very big fire hazzard. After reading manual (you'd think I would learn ) I noticed it said to change screws every time. I bought new screws and all was well after that? Hope this helps :D

Back