free website stats program Getting exhaust off the jug | Harley Davidson Forums

Getting exhaust off the jug

spritee1

Banned
Am having a problem getting the front exhaust off. The nut is not comming loose. Ibecause the pipe is close to the nut I am not able to get a regular 1/2 inch socket on the nut. The nut appears to be rusted on. Any ideas of what I could use to get the nut to come loose?

PB Blaster is amazing stuff. You have to let it sit for a while but it does work.

Walmart & Napa has it.

Am having a problem getting the front exhaust off. The nut is not comming loose. Ibecause the pipe is close to the nut I am not able to get a regular 1/2 inch socket on the nut. The nut appears to be rusted on. Any ideas of what I could use to get the nut to come loose?

Welcome Spritee1 to the HDTimeline forum. You will find many riders and enthusiasts with passion for their HD rides with plenty of helpful hints for do it yourself maintenance, troubleshooting and making it your own. Make sure to look at the tabs near the top of the page for Self Help Tips and the Search using key words based on your topic of interest. Enjoy :D

That said, I have found the "Thin wall construction" used in Craftsman sockets (6 point for strength, 12 point for tight, quick applications) work the best especially on the exhaust system. Sears, K-mart and DoIt Hardware carry the tools. Make sure you use plenty of penetrating oil, while they are "warm" to facilitate removal. And use thread antiseize on threads reassembling. :)

If all else fails you can heat it up with a torch but be careful if you have sprayed any penetrating oil on it. it's usually flammable.

I have been able to remove the nut. The stud came out of the cylinder. Did not find waht I thought might have happened. ThnakkS For you help

No big deal, just install a new one by double nutting the new stud near the top end and thread it in, then remove both nuts with two wrenches.

I have read that a 50/50 mix of atf and aceton is the best penatrating oil available. It os much cheaper than kroil and works much better.
kemo

Back