free website stats program Get 1999 Road King road worthy that has sat for 10+ years | Harley Davidson Forums

Get 1999 Road King road worthy that has sat for 10+ years

captkirkis

Howdy y'all... It's been awhile since I've been on here, just have had a ton of things happening... Anyway, my step dad has a 99 Road King classic that hasn't been on the road in at least 10 years, and it probably hasn't even been started in 7+ years... My mom has commissioned me to get it back on the road so they can go for riding with me... I have an idea of the minimum I need to do to get it back on the road, but just thought I'd get other's opinions on what all I should do. It does turn over, although I need to replace the battery... He had all new synthetic oils put in it, and it had the winter storage stuff done to it before he put it up in his garage. He got hurt over the winter and it just sat... I plan to drain/replace all oils and fuel. Pull the plugs, and possibly replace them and the plug wires. Inspect the inside of the fuel tank, check all wiring, and the brakes. I'm not familiar with the road king, especially this model, I have had a '07 Electra Glide Classic, and now a '11 Limited, so I know its still a touring, it's ALOT different from my Limited that I've had since it was new. I don't have any manuals for it or anything, just going off of my mechanical experience and common sense as to what I know needs to be looked at, etc. My step dad is getting up there in age, and only has a couple years (if he's lucky) to be able to ride before he's body won't let him ride... So I want to get it going no later than next spring, but would prefer to get it going sooner rather than later, especially being in Michigan now, lol... Anyway, any help/advice is greatly appreciated...
Thanks!

What you have planned is a good start. Is it Fuel Inj. or Carb? If it is carb'ed you'll need to remove it & clean thoroughly. I would replace the intakes gaskets also, carb or F.I.. Check all oil, fuel, and brake lines for cracks and or corrosion, replace if necessary. I would probably change them anyway due to age. I would also change/flush brake fluids for new also. The tires are also old and should be replaced.
I usually try to get it running first and then do the other stuff. If you can't get it running why spend money on tires, oils, etc.
tourbox

Between what you mentioned and tourbox's suggestions your well on your way to getting it road worthy.
Good luck and keep us updated.

I have a '91 Dyna in the same situation. It is a carb engine (EVO - 80ci). I plan to do the following besides a complete rebuild of engine and tranny:
  1. Change ALL fluids - brake, fork oil, engine, tranny, transmission
  2. Lube neck bearings
  3. Replace front and rear tires
  4. Repack wheel bearings front and rear if not sealed bearings
  5. Replace brake pads
  6. Replace battery
  7. Wire brush battery cable connection at both ends of both cables
  8. Inspect battery cables at both ends under insulation at the ends - replace if corrosion obvious (green/white deposits)
  9. Inspect drive belt carefully for any signs of damage (I would just replace)
  10. Replace plugs and plug wires
  11. Remove gas tank and have interior pebble/sand washed
  12. Replace gas filter (if any)
  13. If carb, completely disassemble; clean interior of bowl with carb cleaner; replace all o-rings, gaskets, seals, float valve; remove and clean jets; chase all ports with carb spray; rebuild accelerator pump; drill out fuel/air mixture screw (if not already); replace vacuum piston (slide); reassemble
  14. Replace all hoses on fuel system
  15. Replace main circuit breaker (unless equipped with maxi-fuse)
  16. Pull and check continuity of all fuses
  17. Consider replacing other circuit breakers
Might also consider replacing the rear end shocks, or at least the fluid in them.

JMHO. Cheers,

TQ

I will add before cranking again spray 556 penitrating oil in the cylinder, spray enough for it to mist out the plug hole. Let it soak while you do all the other things suggested

Back