free website stats program Gerbing Dual Controller mounting question. | Harley Davidson Forums

Gerbing Dual Controller mounting question.

Porter

I am thinking about getting the dual controler that you can surface mount to the fairing of my UC. Has anyone done this? Pictures? Pro's/Cons/Problems?

I have the dual controler that you can clip to your belt but it is awkward to find a place that I can clip it and still be able to adjust it while riding.

Has anyone rigged up a way to mount the portable controler to their scoot that gives them easy access to adjustment when riding? Pics?

(The Gerbing Insoles for boots are very nice. I only need one pair of socks and my "non-winter" riding boots. I can even ride with my feet out on the pegs with no problems.)

Thank you!

It depends where you plug in.
My connector comes out on the left side under the seat just to the rear of my pants pocket. I have a Velcro patch on my jacket just above my pants pocket to attach the controller.
The controller wire reaches the connector with enough slack so it doesn't get pulled by the wind or my normal riding activity.
I can easily plug in with my left hand while sitting on the bike and holding the brake with my right hand. (important)

Al

:USA
:CONNECTICUT

I've got the clip-on and I attach it on the left size of my belt. It's impossible to see the controls with a full face on so I practiced with it until I was comfortable with it. Didn't take much to get familar with either hand.

That said having the controller mounted to the center of the fairing just beneath the windscreen would make it easy to reach with either hand and wouldn't require you to take your eyes off the road to adjust it.

Mine plugs in right where my tank and seat meet. I have a small pocket on my chaps. I clip controller to that little pocket. Plug in once bike is running. Easy to turn up or down with gloves on while riding.

Currently I have a little velcro patch on the left heat shield that my controller sticks to when I use it. Convenient to use but I am also considering mounting one of the permanent/surface type somewhere instead....I would most like it up on the fairing somewhere to see it and adjust it easily, just havent figured it all out yet...

Phil

I also had the portable dual controller and found it difficult to use. I didnt have a good spot to mount it, so I zip tied it to the crash bar on the saddlebag. The biggest problem was I couldnt see it. I took the fairing apart and found that I could mount the permanent control knobs near the tach and speedo so I went and ordered the permanent controller. I just recieved it today and plan on installing it this weekend if I get time.

Currently I have a little velcro patch on the left heat shield that my controller sticks to when I use it. Convenient to use but I am also considering mounting one of the permanent/surface type somewhere instead....I would most like it up on the fairing somewhere to see it and adjust it easily, just havent figured it all out yet...

Phil

When you say "heat shield" you are talking about the plastic/leather ones that keep you legs cooler, from the radiant exhaust heat, that mount under your seat. Correct?

I also had the portable dual controller and found it difficult to use. I didnt have a good spot to mount it, so I zip tied it to the crash bar on the saddlebag. The biggest problem was I couldnt see it. I took the fairing apart and found that I could mount the permanent control knobs near the tach and speedo so I went and ordered the permanent controller. I just recieved it today and plan on installing it this weekend if I get time.

Great! Please let me know how it works out. Photos would be great is you can take some.

Right now I am thinking of two options before I order the permanant mount:

1.) I was looking at the left handle bar and thinking about mounting my current, portable controller there, inside of the clutch lever mount. I can run power under the tank, along the frame and have it come out up along the handle bar. I think I would eventually have to cut/splice the wires for a more custom fit as far as plugging in the garments. But this would leave the contoller in a good spot, right by the grip and you would only have the two "plug in" leads for the clothing popping up right at the nose of you seat (or something like that). For all this trouble, the permanant mount makes more sense but I think that the position of the controller knobs is really good here. It doesn't address removing the contoller for washing or taking it down in the summer. This is where I wish Gerbing made a "clampable" waterproof, exterior handlebar controler with some long leads.

2.) Trying to figure our a mounting solution for the area right at the nose of my seat/CB-intercom. Velcro might work there but I would like a more secure solution. I don't remember what is under that black console on top of my tank and if I could drill some holes in it. Up closer to the gas cap would be ideal, I think, to make temperature adjustments.

If those don't work or I don't like the look/functionality, I think I will go with the permanant mount that you are installing.

Last edited by a moderator:
yep, when I said heat shield I meant the deflector for engine heat to keep your thighs from browning...I am sure I have seen pics where someone did the permanent mount there but I wouldnt do it since you cannot really see the knob or light there...

One of my friends mounted the permanent one in the fairing on his Ultra. The jacket control on the left side and the gloves on the right. Looks like it came from the factory. No pics but he said it was real easy to install. larger hole for the rheostat knob and a small hole right above it for the led. I use the portable dual controller and shove it in my pocket on my outer jacket but as others have said, it isn't perfect. A little tough to adjust while riding and I always forget which knob is for the gloves and which for the inner jacket liner. I try and set it before I take off and it isn't perfect. The electric gloves and liner are worth their weight in gold though. I'm sold on Gerbings.

I'm going to install the permanent one on the Ultra as soon as I get a "Round To-It" just like dan did. ...too many projects and not enough time! Good thing it's fairly warm out here on the left coast - most of the time!

Pigtail from the battery comes out on the left side of my seat, I zip tied it to the frame to hold it in place. I took the small chain from the inside of a jacket, the chain is designed to hang your coat on a hook. Sewed the chain to the bottom left side of my jacket and attached the controller to that, works well and gives me enough slack so nothing interferes with turns and also allows me to move around on the seat.

Back