free website stats program Georgia Mountains | Harley Davidson Forums

Georgia Mountains

johnkarlfl

Looking to take a summer bike vacation in Georgia.
Any ideas for good rides and a place to stay thats motorcycle friendly?

If you want a nice all around trip, I'd suggest going up US 129 or 441 through the central part of the state, and going home on US 27 along the western part. Slow but nice roads and country. TWO (Two Wheels Only) is a mcy. only lodge is Suches GA. I find it not overly Harley friendly, more sportbikes.
I always stay in Murphy NC, at the Best Western, but they have other motels. Murphy is just across the border and close to the Dragon (US129) and the Cherahalla Parkway. Your wife may like Helen, GA. It looks like a German or Swiss town, cute, but touristy, crowded and expensive. N. GA and W. NC has enough to keep you busy riding and sightseeing for a nice vacation. I have been riding that area for 20 years and still find new places. Tanks link is a good place to scope out your options.

Last edited:
North Georgia is great but if you're going to come that far, I'd keep going and stay in Maggie Valley, NC for a couple days riding. Easy access to the Blue Ridge Parkway, The Dragon, Cherohala Skyway, Asheville, and many local mountain roads that are a blast.

Be sure to let us know when the dates are finalized. You never know what crazy Georgia bikers might want to join you! Hint, hint!

Oh man...some good riding in Georgia. Helen is touristy but there is a Country Inns and Suites that is not too bad in price and would make a good spot to base camp out of. Suches, GA is the beginning/end of the Appalachian Trail, so you're in some good mountainous area. If you do, be sure to ride Hwy 348, Richard B Russell Memorial Highway. You want to hit it coming out of Helen, heading either North or West onit. You hit the top of the mountain where the AT crosses, and there is this beautiful, long downhill gently winding sweep that is pure heaven. It runs into 180 and you can take that west to the 2-wheels Only m/c campground and grab a good sandwich at the restaurant there. Be sure to take Hwy 75N out of Helen and make that loop too. Some beautiful riding in that area.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

2-wheels only m/c campground.

Two Wheels Only Motorcycle Resort and Campground

Last edited by a moderator:
Georgia does have some fantastic riding. I completely agree with Dolittle. Scope out Maggie Valley and explore the areas south of the Great Smokey Mountain National Park. The northern side is VERY touristy and congested. The Blue Ridge Parkway from Cherokee over to Asheville is a great little ride, and very peaceful. The Cherohala Skyway is a MUST as well! There are even some fantastic garage cabins in Tellico Plains to spending the night.

Many swear by T.W.O. in Suches. I do not. I used to frequent the establishment during my sport bike days. I distinctly recall joking with the owner about the boulder/gravel covered parking lot, and he responding, "it keeps the obnoxious Harleys away." At the time, I must have found humor in it, but after getting into Harleys myself, I'll just go elsewhere. It is mainly for the sportbikes, and the roads going up to the campground are littered with logging trucks, debris, and fully leather-clad and knee-puck wearing time trial wannabes. Just south of Suches (in Dahlonega, GA) is a great little family owned motorcycle business called Rider's Hill. Great snack counter and open porches with rocking chairs and folks to chat about everything on two wheels. We spent a wonderful afternoon there waiting for a thunderstorm to pass while on one of our trips.

Enjoy the trip, and keep us all posted! Some of us (nudge at Dolittle) would love to show you around! :D

Just south of Suches (in Dahlonega, GA) is a great little family owned motorcycle business called Rider's Hill. Great snack counter and open porches with rocking chairs and folks to chat about everything on two wheels. We spent a wonderful afternoon there waiting for a thunderstorm to pass while on one of our trips.

Enjoy the trip, and keep us all posted! Some of us (nudge at Dolittle) would love to show you around! :D

How come you've never told me about the place in Dahlonega??? Holding out on me? :p

Wow JDP. Two riders, two totally different riding experiences. I've hit that area 3 times or so over the past 4 years. This year was my 1st for not making a run down there. You definitely get the leather-clad riding types in that area, but then again where you get the twisties, you get those rider types. Have found it no where near the congestion as the Tail and Cherohala areas on my visits. All depends on what type riding you like. I love the roads in that area. Good road surface, good twisties, good scenery.

Back