free website stats program generator | Harley Davidson Forums

generator

HAWGLY

Question, can i put a twelve volt generator on a 45ci engine?If so do i need to drill and tap new hold down screws, change drive gear, any thoughts or ideas helpful.

Is the system 6 or 12 volt now? Don't know if the shaft is longer or shorter on 12 and 6 volt generators, but they don't come with the gear, you have to use your old one or buy a new one. Do you have the generator that came with it? My wife's servi-car had a 12 volt system and used a auto style alternator on it, but it was a 1970.

Yes you can. what year is your 45 and do you know the model generator you have on it now. By hold down are you talking about the strap to the engine case or the regulator mount. Harley made 7 generators four 6v and three 12v. The difference with the generators is mostly in the generator circuit and wire gage.
The gear should have a slinger system on it. The gear used on ohv generators is different from that on SV. Also the armature where the gear secures varies between a lock pin and a nut and lock washer.

J P catalog lists 12 volt generators back to the Flathead models and they have excellent tech support800-397-4844

Back