free website stats program GEN 3 Tuning Help for my 2011 FXDC . . . | Harley Davidson Forums

GEN 3 Tuning Help for my 2011 FXDC . . .

markfsanderson

I need some tuning help . . . So I installed my Gen 3.5, and ran it for about a week with a stock replacement K&N and the stock plastic backplate opened up for additional airflow. So far so good . . . The bike certainly ran cooler, no decel pop, no hesitation . . . very nice.
Just this last Sunday I completed my Stage One upgrade. Here are the list of changes:

0) The motorcycle is a 2011 FXDC Super Glide Custom - no engine mods.
1) Dewey's Customs Rammer Air Cleaner + Element. This is a high flow element; I believe similar to the Arlen Ness big sucker?
2) SuperTrapp Internal Disc Series Slip On Mufflers w/16 Discs Installed
3) TFI EJK Gen 3 currently at 'Nominal Stage One' settings as received from the factory.

I took my motorcycle out on the street just after a heavy rain here in San Antonio, TX - Wow! Certainly a lot more power, I was afraid to 'open it up' because of the wet/slick streets . . . so don't have a really good idea on how she runs in all phases. I did notice, however, that she does have a very minor decel pop in what appears to be all gears that I tested - 1-4. Never got into 5th or 6th. The decel pop is barely audible - but I do wear full hemet. Also, it appeared, especially in 1st and 2nd gear - that there was a bit of hesitation - especially when cold. The hesitation seem top become less as the bike warmed up. Also, the engine feels like its running a tad bit hotter than when I had only the modfified stock aircleaner . . and about the same as pre-EJK installation - maybe a bit cooler.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Mark - Thanks!:newsmile026:

Have you tried a bit more fuel, just a bit at a time and ride it again, kind of seat of the pants tuning? Hotter and popping usually = lean Did you seal the mufflers?

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you tried a bit more fuel, just a bit at a time and ride it again, kind of seat of the pants tuning? Hotter and popping usually = lean Did you seal the mufflers?

Hmm . . . I re-used (eeek!) The H-D clamps, and my manual doesn't recommend sealing the mufflers . . . they also don't recommend re-using the clamps either! Since my bike had less than 1800 miles, I'm trying to re-use them. I've read that folks that have re-used them had good results if their bike didn't have a lot of miles . . . I'll go and buy some high temp muffler sealant - What brand do you use/recommend?

Also - the basic stuff . . . whats a good way to detect muffler leaks on the joint between the muffler and the header pipe? Soapy water on the join and plug and block the opening?

Hmm . . . I re-used (eeek!) The H-D clamps, and my manual doesn't recommend sealing the mufflers . . . they also don't recommend re-using the clamps either! Since my bike had less than 1800 miles, I'm trying to re-use them. I've read that folks that have re-used them had good results if their bike didn't have a lot of miles . . . I'll go and buy some high temp muffler sealant - What brand do you use/recommend?

Also - the basic stuff . . . whats a good way to detect muffler leaks on the joint between the muffler and the header pipe? Soapy water on the join and plug and block the opening?

Mark the clamps should be OK, you can wear gloves and fold some cardboard hold it against the end of the pipe to stop it up if there is a leak you should here it as a slight whistle, to seal the pipe joints I like Permatex 81878 | Liquid Gasketing Silicone Sealants if you have a cross over pipe check that too

Mark the clamps should be OK, you can wear gloves and fold some cardboard hold it against the end of the pipe to stop it up if there is a leak you should here it as a slight whistle, to seal the pipe joints I like Permatex 81878 | Liquid Gasketing Silicone Sealants if you have a cross over pipe check that too

I blocked both pipes twice to make sure, listened for any whistles - nothing. The engine dropped RPM when I blocked the one pipe, and sound like it was kind of 'bogging' . . .which I assume is normal. Once I un-blocked the pipe, everything went back to normal. I'm assuming that at this time, I should richen a TFI setting . . .

I blocked both pipes twice to make sure, listened for any whistles - nothing. The engine dropped RPM when I blocked the one pipe, and sound like it was kind of 'bogging' . . .which I assume is normal. Once I un-blocked the pipe, everything went back to normal. I'm assuming that at this time, I should richen a TFI setting . . .

:s YEP, more fuel better to be fat than lean:s

Mark,

Give Chris at Dobecks a call and ask him to work with you on this.

Let us know how he does and you did.

This IS there thread and Right area to post for HELP from them, but some times a Call is better/quicker.:s

Depending on the exhaust,,,, it may pop a little. These HD's Do turn OFF the fuel on heavy decelleration just for that reason. When you decel Don't hold the throttle open Any and it Should turn off the fuel and no pop.

Try it and let me know.

signed....BUBBIE

Mark,

Give Chris at Dobecks a call and ask him to work with you on this.

Let us know how he does and you did.

This IS there thread and Right area to post for HELP from them, but some times a Call is better/quicker.:s

Depending on the exhaust,,,, it may pop a little. These HD's Do turn OFF the fuel on heavy decelleration just for that reason. When you decel Don't hold the throttle open Any and it Should turn off the fuel and no pop.

Try it and let me know.

signed....BUBBIE

Bubbie, If I don't see a post here by early tomorrow afternoon I'll drop him a line and let you know what I found out . . . the decel-pop is very minor, barely noticeable. I won't mind running a tad bit rich, for sure . . .

Last edited:
Bubbie,
Spoke with Chris yesterday, and my initial assumption on the bike being lean on the decel was incorrect. Apparently, H-D do not open the fuel injectors during full deceleration (throttle closed), but my guess is that a signal is still being sent. Assuming that, the Green/Blue adjustment was at 2, a small bit of fuel was being injected - thus causing some 'decel pop'. Once I moved that adjustment to zero (far left green number one flashing quickly), that noise went away.
I was also concerned about an apparent hesitation/lag in gears 1 thru 3 . . . But not at full throttle. This occurred the first time I drove the bike with the full stage one installed while the bike warmed up. Once the bike warmed up, the lag went away. Chris wasn't particularly concerned about that, but suggested that I freely experiment with green state, and adjust it in the following manner:

On a fully warmed up engine:

1. Mode Button Until Only Green
  2. Hold the throttle at a little higher than idle
  3. Move green led all the way to zero, then advance while rpm is increasing, then once engine sounds like its struggling or rpm decrease then back off 2 full positions. If for, instance it starts to bog at 8, then back off to 6.
The procedures above reminds me of piloting a small aircraft with manual mixture (Cessna 15x/17x and etc) . . . very similar engine types as well!

I haven't adjusted the Green mode yet, I'm just make sure that the changes I've made are working as I expect. I'll adjust green mode sometime this week. I haven't really opened her up yet, so I don't have a good feel for how the other driving phases are doing. But I expect very little or know adjustment will be needed . . .

Back