free website stats program Gel seat | Harley Davidson Forums

Gel seat

DynaBike

I'm ordering my new solo seat this week and I'm struggling with the decision whether to get foam or gel. I have read pros and cons about gel in various places... anyone here have any experience with it long term ?

I had my old Corbin seat recovered and had new foam and a gel pad added. When I get my RG seat recovered it will definetly have a gel pad.

A quick and easy alternative is to add a sheepskin/gel pads that use sheet metal vinyl coated, nylon web velcro straps as shown below:

Check out American Motorcycle Specialties: http://www.amspecialtiesusa.com/gelpad.htm

Nice thing was that they are local here in SoCal in Thousand Oaks just up the road...not a bad deal for me anyways...

~$70-$90 or less with HD 20% OFF discount.

wol_error.gif
Click this bar to view the full image.
Rider-n-Pillion_Mods-1.jpg

If worried about the rain, they are held on by velcro nylon strip and are removable...and just throw them in the bags.

No experience with gel pads, I have heard they have a tendency to get HOT in the summer. I live in Florida gets, hot enough with any help. I do have an Air Hawk seat that I use on road trips. I can do 500 mile plus days using it. It allows air to circulate underneath your bum, really helps cut down on monkeybutt. I have also tried seat beads, like you see in cars. They work well too, like having a/c under your bum, can't use them in the winter.

i have gel inserts in my seat LOVE them i ride 03 elg classic wife and i rode to 105 and back from nh will never have a seat with out

I have had a gel seat o one of my bikes for 3 yrs and to be honest, it feels like any other foam seat. Even on long rides I don't see the benefits over a regular seat.

Well, I found a lot of aftermarket pads (that Air Hawk looks interesting) so I opted not to get the gel insert and went with their standard foam. My other choice was leather or vinyl... I really wanted leather bad but since that doubled the cost of the seat, I had to stick with the standard vinyl cover. Should have it by the end of the month... I'm camped out next to the mailbox waiting now :)

Back