free website stats program "Gee Whiz" Question | Harley Davidson Forums

"Gee Whiz" Question

propflux01

OKay, School me on this....

If the Front wheel is located on the front of the bike, and the rear wheel is located on the rear of the bike, why is the FRONT cam located towards the Rear of the bike, and the REAR cam located towards the front?

Is this some new "Fuzzy Math" type of directionality here?

Where did you get that information? Parts diagrams and my service manual show are front = front, rear = rear. Front = circlip, rear = splined, driven by crank.

If the Front wheel is located on the front of the bike, and the rear wheel is located on the rear of the bike, why is the FRONT cam located towards the Rear of the bike, and the REAR cam located towards the front?

Why does your nose run and your feet smell???

Why do we drive on a parkway and park on a driveway???

Just a few of lifes unanswered questions :D

GOOD ONE glazier...LOL

The #1 cylinder IS the rear one...

First to fire in it's "Built" position... Called Number One Cylinder...

The sound we Love is made by: firing the rear and then 45* fire the front..._ Our distinct SOUND....

I can hear it, can you? THINK HERE lol

IT would NOT sound as good the other way,,,,(lol)

*IF the front fired and we had to WAIT for the rear cylinder to fire,,,,as it is so FAR away... Would not our sound be Lost........:18:

signed....BUBBIE

ADDED: You Know I'm Joking....

Gee thanks Propflux; I read this before going to bed last night then, I did nothing but toss, turn and ponder while visions of V-twins danced in my head.

Where did you get that information? Parts diagrams and my service manual show are front = front, rear = rear. Front = circlip, rear = splined, driven by crank.

Like BUBBIE said: #1 cylinder is in the rear. It should be in the FRONT!

Tim

Every HD that I have timed, is timed to the front cylinder. Yes, some cranks also have rear cyl. TDC marks.
BUT, getting back to your original question, as posted: "why is the front cam located towards the rear, and the rear cam located towards the front". Where can I find an example that supports this? All diagrams & manuals I can find refer to front as front, and rear as rear.
This is the first time I remember disagreeing with my "brother from another mother" (Bubbie).

Could it be if the engines were not produced the way that they are, you could not have 2 connecting rods on the same journal which ultimately give you the signature potato potato sound............................
And the fact I have heard stories of a Harley engine running backwards.

Could it be if the engines were not produced the way that they are, you could not have 2 connecting rods on the same journal which ultimately give you the signature potato potato sound............................
And the fact I have heard stories of a Harley engine running backwards.

having kickstarted old iron head XLCHs in the 60s and 70s I can tell you that they will run backwards for a second or so, you can always tell a old Iron head owner by the limp:bigsmiley14:

Back