free website stats program gear side crankcase | Harley Davidson Forums

gear side crankcase

nascar7613

1993 Electra Evo. Lost oil pressure on the gauge. Took cover off oil pump, turned the rear wheel in 5th gear, oil pump not turning. Disassembled oil pump and cam cover and found that the oil pump gear on the crankshaft had teeth broken. The crankshaft bearing is moving out of the case. I found a bent up retaining ring laying in the cam chest. Not sure where the retaining ring goes, maybe it's supposed to hold the bearing in the case. Wondering if the bearing could be pushed back into the case if that's where the ring goes.

Attachments

• Outlook.com.zip
    138.5 KB · Views: 26
Found out that the retaining ring fits in a groove on the pinion shaft to hold the bearing from walking into the cam chest. I wonder what would cause the retaining ring to dislodge.

That's a good question, Maybe indicate pinion shaft and check run out.
I haven't been inside an evo but some further inspection and finding all the broken pieces would be starters.
Good Luck!

I found that the part of the pinion shaft that the snap ring fits on is what walked out, letting the bearing walk out also. I'm not sure how that part is attached to the flywheel inside the cases, or if something just broke in there. Does anyone have any knowledge of this?

I found that the part of the pinion shaft that the snap ring fits on is what walked out, letting the bearing walk out also. I'm not sure how that part is attached to the flywheel inside the cases, or if something just broke in there. Does anyone have any knowledge of this?

Did the pinion shaft nut ( left hand thread) come lose? Spiral snap ring would take a beating like in your pics

Is that a inner bearing race that is pressed onto the pinion shaft? :52:
If that's the case it must have spun because of that bearing gone bad or some other evil crank issue. Doesn't look good from where I'm sitting :(

The part that the retaining ring sets in is the inner race for the pinion shaft bearing. It is pressed on the pinion shaft up against the flywheel. Outer race is pressed into the case. If it has walked out then you will have to split the cases and replace. Pinion shaft,pinion bearing, and probably the race are color coded for sizes. The colors must match. You can push the bearing back and it should be pretty much flush with the case. There should be just enough of the grove showing to replace a New retaining ring. Hardly any room, if any, from back side of retaining ring to the bearing. If there is large amount, then the race has walked out.
When the old retaining ring let go it probably sheared the wood drift key on the oil pump also. Hope you have a manual.
tourbox

Back