free website stats program Gear Change Lever | Harley Davidson Forums

Gear Change Lever

llandie.50

Hi
I have a 2006 machine and i have just brought some new boots with a bigger toe on them. the problem is now that i cant get my toe between the rest and the gear change to make a smooth change. I have tried to adjust the leaver but now its too high. I need a lever about 1" longer . is there a good place to buy these>

Thanks

Mick

Hi
I have a 2006 machine and i have just brought some new boots with a bigger toe on them. the problem is now that i cant get my toe between the rest and the gear change to make a smooth change. I have tried to adjust the leaver but now its too high. I need a lever about 1" longer . is there a good place to buy these>

Thanks
Mick

How about dropping the lever down a spline on the shaft and readjusting the linkage again.

maybe I'm reading this post wrong but --- if the lever was at MoCo installation specs. and rider did not have room there and now after moving it it's to high,how would dropping a spline help?? Unless lever went up more than one notch????? Sorry just trying to clear it up in the ol' noggin!!!

maybe I'm reading this post wrong but --- if the lever was at MoCo installation specs. and rider did not have room there and now after moving it it's to high,how would dropping a spline help?? Unless lever went up more than one notch????? Sorry just trying to clear it up in the ol' noggin!!!

I read it twice just to make sure I wasn't reading it wrong. But unless you had a torch and a welder that advice wouldn't help.Come on Glider prove us wrong(I'm sure you will)

This is how I see it and have done it this way on a few bikes.
Moving the lever one spline in either direction raises/lowers the lever significantly on the shaft and adjustment of the linkage then on most bikes would "fine tune" it to a more desirable location to fit your size by lengthening or shortening the shift linkage . Of course you have to have the ball ends with the lock nuts on the linkage to do this.

Does that help?

This is how I see it and have done it this way on a few bikes.
Moving the lever one spline in either direction raises/lowers the lever significantly on the shaft and adjustment of the linkage then on most bikes would "fine tune" it to a more desirable location to fit your size by lengthening or shortening the shift linkage . Of course you have to have the ball ends with the lock nuts on the linkage to do this.

Does that help?

So --- put the gear shift lever back to original position and adjust the linkage + or -, to "lift" the lever up enough to get the boot between the floorboard/peg and lever or leave it at the position it's at now,which is to high, and adjust linkage to lower lever enough right?

Back