free website stats program gauges | Harley Davidson Forums

gauges

siitman

Sometimes when I turn on my ignition all the dials on the gauges rotate all the way over and then back, as well all the indicator lights come on. This is before I hit the starter button. the dealer didn't seem to know what this was. any thoughts? 2009 Ultra Classic.

Well you got me thinking. I have an 09 as well, so I went out to the garage and checked to see if mine did it. Nope, it doesn't. Do you have ABS brakes? That may be the difference. If not, then have you had any downloads to your ECU lately by the dealer or other? I am a truck mechanic and all our equipment does that when you switch on the ignition. On the trucks it is just a pre-start self diagnostic check. I imagine it's the same on yours although I don't know why mine doesn't do it....unless it's because I don't have ABS.

Well then I would go with the link that Hoople provide above. Since it's an intermittent thing it's most likely an electrical/moisture related problem.

I'm going with the moisture too. When did you last wash it or ride in the rain? The button on the side of the speedo can be the problem if it gets moisture in it. Try to stay below the tank line when washing it to prevent problems with the switches.

I have an 09 Ultra that did exactly the same thing you have described after riding over the Lolo Pass in Montana in a down pour. After it dried out overnight the problem disappeared. Somehow you've gotten some moisture in the electrics. Just give it 24 hours to dry out and the symptoms should go away.

Back