free website stats program Gatlinburg vacation | Harley Davidson Forums

Gatlinburg vacation

gator508

Experienced Member
Hi Everybody,

We got back Sunday evening from 8 days in the mountains, it was a wonderful vacation but very cold, there was snow at about the 3K foot level on Friday so we only rode 1 day out of the 6 we were actually there.

Rode the dragon and out around Fontana Lake and Dam which was absolutely beautiful and made a passage through Hidden Valley. The scenery was gorgeous the fall colors were at near peak. We went to Cades Cove, Clingman's Dome, rode up and over to Cherokee via Newfound Gap.

Had a funny thing happen on our way up, we stopped at one of the scenic overlooks and the bike was smoking like it was on fire. Found the oil tank cap had come loose and some oil got on the pipes, let it sit for about 10 minutes and checked the oil it was fine so very little had gotten out. I wonder if the quick change in temperature affected the contraction of the rubber seal vs the metal, anyway all was well after that and it never came loose again.

Attached some pictures of our adventure, more to come as I download and resize, hope you enjoy them, cheers!

L to R
Maybe our future rider L'il Joshua 6 months old and Ashlee, gator and mrs gator on Hidden Valley Pkwy, gator in Cherokee, mr and mrs riding the Dragon, Newfound Gap scenic overlook.

Attachments

• SAM_2426.jpg
    SAM_2426.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 82
  • SAM_2428.jpg
    SAM_2428.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 86
  • SAM_2433.jpg
    SAM_2433.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 86
  • SAM_2451.jpg
    SAM_2451.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 83
  • SAM_2474.jpg
    SAM_2474.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 85
I'd guess the oil plug had more to do with sudden pressure change... Is there a vent hose plugged somewhere? I wouldn't expect the actual temperature of the plug would have changed that fast, considering it is in contact with the warm/hot tank.

Great pics. Thanks for sharing. My family and I were there a couple of years ago but sadly no bike. Looking forward to going sometime. My brother lives in Tennessee and I may be making a road trip next weekend weather permitting.

Re: Gatlinburg vacation more pics

A few more pictures of the fall colors.

Attachments

• on the way to cherokee.jpg
    on the way to cherokee.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 50
  • heading to cades cove2.jpg
    heading to cades cove2.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 48
  • heading to cades cove1.jpg
    heading to cades cove1.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 51
  • newfound gap view1.jpg
    newfound gap view1.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 47
  • newfound gap2.jpg
    newfound gap2.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 47
Re: Gatlinburg vacation, and even more pics

A few more of the colors

Attachments

• clingmans dome view1.jpg
    clingmans dome view1.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 47
  • clingmans dome view2.jpg
    clingmans dome view2.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 46
  • appalachian trail on top of clingmans dome.jpg
    appalachian trail on top of clingmans dome.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 49
  • on the dragon.jpg
    on the dragon.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 47
Hi Everybody,

We got back Sunday evening from 8 days in the mountains, it was a wonderful vacation but very cold, there was snow at about the 3K foot level on Friday so we only rode 1 day out of the 6 we were actually there.

Rode the dragon and out around Fontana Lake and Dam which was absolutely beautiful and made a passage through Hidden Valley. The scenery was gorgeous the fall colors were at near peak. We went to Cades Cove, Clingman's Dome, rode up and over to Cherokee via Newfound Gap.

Had a funny thing happen on our way up, we stopped at one of the scenic overlooks and the bike was smoking like it was on fire. Found the oil tank cap had come loose and some oil got on the pipes, let it sit for about 10 minutes and checked the oil it was fine so very little had gotten out. I wonder if the quick change in temperature affected the contraction of the rubber seal vs the metal, anyway all was well after that and it never came loose again.

Attached some pictures of our adventure, more to come as I download and resize, hope you enjoy them, cheers!

L to R
Maybe our future rider L'il Joshua 6 months old and Ashlee, gator and mrs gator on Hidden Valley Pkwy, gator in Cherokee, mr and mrs riding the Dragon, Newfound Gap scenic overlook.
Thats my plan for a vacation before I die or get to old to hold myself up. I sure envy you. We hope to do it next year.( what said last year too.) look forward to more pics.

Great pictures Gator, we spent some time there back in June and plan on going back next year. We really love the area.:D:D:D

Back