free website stats program Gas tank question | Harley Davidson Forums

Gas tank question

I've got a 2000 Sportster with a 4 gallon quick bob tank on it. The problem I got is I can't fill the bike from the high side cap because it runs out the low side obviously before the tank is full. The first time I filled it after installing the tank was the only time It did not leak out. I would like to be able to utilize the full 4 gallons if possible. Has anyone ever dealt with this problem if so what should I do. Thanks

Ive got a similar tank on my Sportster and don't seem to have the problem
its a 1 piece tank with 2 fillers the low side should be reverse thread on it there is a plastic thread on the cap, pushed on over the plastic part should be a seal (some sort of rubber) this seal can be easily removed just slipped off it may be damaged or missing

Brian

I would try a new cap on the low side. Someone may have drilled a vent in it at some point for some unknown reason.

i have never had the problem of gas leaking from the lower cap
my softail has the same caps and they have never leaked either
so perhaps its time to try another cap but first check round the area the cap fits on to to make sure it and the seal are seating correctly and there isn't any dirt in the way

Brian

I've had the same thing happen on my '79 with a 4 Gal bob tank on it. When I took the low side cap off I noticed the bolt holding the steel spring plate to the underside of the cap was loose, on futher investigation I found the bolt could'nt be tightened as the plate would spin around. The reason it spun around was due to two tabs on the plate (which are bent down in order to stop the plate rotating when you tighten the bolt) were broken off. This all meant the cap would'nt fully seat on the tank and the seal, causing gas to spill out.

Back