free website stats program Gas tank moves a little | Harley Davidson Forums

Gas tank moves a little

Spade5

I have accepted the Dyna clunk as a given when riding across railroad tracks and such. I always thought the sound was coming from the front forks but now I am not so sure.

I was doing a little cleaning and noticed that my gas tank will rock a little and it seems to be only in the front mount. I checked the front and rear mount bolts and they are good and tight. The front bolt goes through a horizontal tube that is welded to the frame and it looks to me like there is a little play that allows the tank to rock.

I was just wondering if "they all do this" or if I am cursed with an anomaly like I usually am. I can't believe it took me three years to notice this.

Any way you could fashion some sort of soft, rubber like shim for the tube where the bolt goes through that would take up the play you've noticed?

Worth a try anyway!

I checked the front and rear mount bolts and they are good and tight. The front bolt goes through a horizontal tube that is welded to the frame and it looks to me like there is a little play that allows the tank to rock.

Sit on the bike and grab the tank from underneath with the palms of your hands. Pull up and down on the tank. If it moves and makes a noise, tighten the front mounting bolt more. Mine was also "tight" but not tight enough. I had a bad knock/clank going over RR-tracks. You have to really squeeze those mounting ears. It is Dead silent now.

Doc, I was thinking the same thing. I haven't quite figured out how to do it though.

Maybe they all don't do it but I am going to give Hoople's suggestion a try and tighten it up some more.

If you had asked me a week ago if my tank moves I would have said no but I would have been wrong.

Thanks for the feedback.

I had the same problem on my '06 Lowrider for about 6 months before I figured it out. Same solution as Hoople stated, tighten it up. I found this about 3 months ago and no more clunk.

I had the same problem on my '06 Lowrider for about 6 months before I figured it out. Same solution as Hoople stated, tighten it up. I found this about 3 months ago and no more clunk.

Same here 07 Streetbob, new thing to check each time I change oil:s

Just for curiosity, can you change that bolt to one slightly larger in diameter? I changed mine out to stainless, with matching stainless washers because the existing hardware was cadmium plated and looked...eh...CHEAP...! And it was a little too long anyway (they use that silly plastic cap to "cover" up that fact). Found I did not have to "snug" it down too tightly to steady that tank.

Just for curiosity, can you change that bolt to one slightly larger in diameter? I changed mine out to stainless, with matching stainless washers because the existing hardware was cadmium plated and looked...eh...CHEAP...! And it was a little too long anyway (they use that silly plastic cap to "cover" up that fact). Found I did not have to "snug" it down too tightly to steady that tank.

HMM, now that makes a lot of sense, good tip NEWHD:s

Back