free website stats program Gas Smell | Harley Davidson Forums

Gas Smell

HawkPilot

I know there are several posts on this subject, but I haven't seen any solutions. After a ride, my entire garage fills with gas fumes. I have to leave the garage door open until the bike cools down, at which time the fumes stop. I have traced it to the vapor vent line that ends at the rear tire. Apparently when you park your bike, the heat from the engine heats up the gas in the tank, causing it to vent gas fumes. On my 04 RK, the vent line comes out of the tank, follows under the console, under the seat and just in front of the battery, turns downward. Just below the elbow is a vapor vent valve. On mine, this valve just prevents anything from flowing backwards into the tank, but not out, so fumes are free to dump out of the vent line. There doesn't seem to be anything to prevent the fumes from flowing out of the tank and into the air (non-California model). Does anyone know if this is the way the system is supposed to work or am I missing something?

The vent tube does have a check valve in it and it does vent the way you describe. Is your FI or a carb?

If the fumes are that thick I would guess that it couldn't all be from the tank vent. Checked your fuel mileage lately? Have you checked your mileage previously to have something to compare it too?
If the fuel line that is in the tank has pin holes in it caused from ethanol, I guess that would cause an inordinate amount of venting from the tank. You noticed the fuel pump running more than usual before starting it? Any misses or ill running?

It's always gotten around 40 mpg, no noticeable drop and seems to be running well. I have noticed that it doesn't vent as much when I park it with a full tank, maybe not as much air to heat up. The fuel pump only runs one or two seconds when I turn the ignition on. The fuel line you mentioned, is that inside the tank?

Yes, The pump is in the tank with a plastic fuel line connected to it. Many have had the fuel line develop holes in it and the pump continues to run because the pressure will never build up enough for it to shut off. If you had this problem, you would have known it by now. The pump would run more and you would have some issue when the tank was less than full.
Does your bike seem to run really hot? Do you have a stage one complete on the bike?

mine smells occasionally too, and your right, the extra vapor space will give more of an odor. when you ride the air flow keeps the tank at an ambient temp, then when you stop, the heat rises and heats up the tank and it's contents, if you have more vapor space the tank will "burp" more.

Yes, The pump is in the tank with a plastic fuel line connected to it. Many have had the fuel line develop holes in it and the pump continues to run because the pressure will never build up enough for it to shut off. If you had this problem, you would have known it by now. The pump would run more and you would have some issue when the tank was less than full.
Does your bike seem to run really hot? Do you have a stage one complete on the bike?

Harley stage 1 air filter and screaming eagle slash tip mufflers, Gen 3 EJK. This is my first Harley, so the only thing I can compare the heat to is a friends 2010 Heritage, and mine runs a lot cooler than his. I do have the Stage 1 download installed in the ECM

How about hooking up a box fan and run it on the exhaust side of your bike for 10 min. Your bike will be cool to the touch. T thats what i do.

If it is not raining when i return from a ride i usually leave the bike outside for a wee while to cool down and i give it a quick inspection before putting away and usually fuel up on the way home about 13 miles away so that the bike is ready to go when put away in the shed

Brian

Back