free website stats program gas overflow | Harley Davidson Forums

gas overflow

softail00

2000 flstc filled bike up in the morning took 2 short rides around block parked bike started bike up again rode about 500 feet seen a friend shut the bike off again and the bike started spewing gas out of the overflow started bike up took it for a long ride and it quit. Could this overflow be caused by the short trips?

More than likely some debris stuck under the needle in the carb. Short trips should have nothing to do with it.

I had the same problem on my '00 Fatboy with a Mikuni 45 faltslide. It was just what glider said. I didn't take mine completely apart. I pulled the bolt out of the bottom of the float bowl and sprayed carb cleaner at the seat and then removed the fuel line and sprayed carb cleaner in the carb that way. Haven't had the problem since.

I also had this problem with my 2000 Fatboy. Twice, indeed. The first time was the Vacuum Piston that seized on the base and the last time was the internal part of the Fuel Shut Off Valve that was letting fuel flow to the carburator, even with the engine off. In the last scenario, the fuel leaking stops with the engine running, due to the vacuum created with the engine running.

Back