free website stats program Gas mileage | Harley Davidson Forums

Gas mileage

jamesearl

I have never checked it out,don't really know how to.I have recently gone from a 6 to a 4.7 gal. tank,and you can really tell the difference when it comes to frequency of stops for fuel.Glad I didn't get a sporty 72 with a 2.1gal. tank,I was considering it.So,anyhow what's the best way to figure it? Without running out of gas,of course.

Fill the tank up. Go some distance. Let's say 80 miles to make it easy but it doesn't matter how far. Fill the tank up again and note how much gas it took. Say it took 2 gallons. Divide 80 (miles) by 2 (gallons) = 40 miles per gallon. You could go 188 miles on a full tank. I usually tend to stop at least 10% before that so about 170.

Man that is strange,I'd think if they got that kind of mileage,they'd make a big deal over it.I know how to do the division to figure it.But I'm afraid I don't always put the same amount in when filling,and figured that might skew the numbers.

Man that is strange,I'd think if they got that kind of mileage,they'd make a big deal over it.I know how to do the division to figure it.But I'm afraid I don't always put the same amount in when filling,and figured that might skew the numbers.[/QUOTE

]The MOCO numbers on the Freewheeler are 43 mpg, I'm sure they would be pleased to know its actually getting 55 mpg. From the specs it looks like the Freewheeler is 200+ pounds heavier than a bagger.
Take a look here for the different models and what the MOCO rates the MPG at.

http://www.appalachianharley-davidson.com/2017-H-D-Harley-Davidson-Freewheeler

Like I said above, MAN!!! I don't get anywhere near that sort of fuel economy. Here is a plot of my mileage on my '12 UC:
upload_2016-9-26_13-15-31.png
I am very meticulous on keeping track of the amount of gas I get and the mileage run on each refill. These are what I get.

My '03 UC was almost the same:
upload_2016-9-26_13-9-0.png
Cheers,

TQ

Estimated from fuel economy tests on a sample motorcycle from the corresponding family conducted by Harley-Davidson under ideal laboratory conditions. Not all motorcycle models undergo fuel economy testing. Fuel economy and mileage may vary among motorcycle models within a family. Your mileage may vary depending on your personal riding habits, weather conditions, trip length, vehicle condition and vehicle configuration and other conditions. Break-in mileage may vary.
If u scroll down far to #5 and read it tells you all
I do get 55 on the nose and am not out of gas{bone dry}
So it could go up a bit that is fine by me

Gear Ratios (overall) 6th 3.157 with the new comp and primary and smoother shifting tranny helps I am sure

I guess this 15 million dollar fine assessed to HD is causing quite a stir. The sales literature talks about fuel mileage on the new bikes which never occurred in the past. So there is this whole phenomenon going on that will take years to shake out at HD. And guess where the MOCO is going to recoup that 15 Mil????? The Harley buying public and how I know I paid $68.00 for a hat and T-shirt in August 2016. And look at the price of these new bikes....o_O:eek:

Estimated from fuel economy tests on a sample motorcycle from the corresponding family conducted by Harley-Davidson under ideal laboratory conditions. Not all motorcycle models undergo fuel economy testing. Fuel economy and mileage may vary among motorcycle models within a family. Your mileage may vary depending on your personal riding habits, weather conditions, trip length, vehicle condition and vehicle configuration and other conditions. Break-in mileage may vary.
If u scroll down far to #5 and read it tells you all
I do get 55 on the nose and am not out of gas{bone dry}
So it could go up a bit that is fine by me

Gear Ratios (overall) 6th 3.157 with the new comp and primary and smoother shifting tranny helps I am sure

Not trying to pick a fight but there is NO way that you are getting 12+ MPG better than what the MOCO said is the MPG for your Freewheeler. A bagger which is 200+ pounds lighter is rated at only 45 MPG.

What you posted is similar words all auto manufacturers put on the window sticker on new cars mandated by the EPA.This is not new languages only used my Harley.

Last edited:
Back