free website stats program Gas leaking out of gas cap | Harley Davidson Forums

Gas leaking out of gas cap

I have a 2001 Night Train. I have changed may parts on the bike to include the gas cap. I am using a Kuryakyn gas cap. The problem I am having is every once in a while after I fill up with gas, the cap will leak fuel all over the gas tank, which then drips down on a hot motor. It doesn't always do this; only when I try to put in as much fuel as I can for a long ride. Maybe I just missed the section in the owners manual that said do not "top off" the tank. Other than this issue the bike runs great. I appreciate any help anyone can give me on this.

Thanks...Rob

I had the same problem with an 08 Heritage - stock gas cap. After I filled up I would tighten it until it started clicking. Turns out it wasn't fully seated. I know turn until it clicks, then press down on it and turn some more - it always tightens up a bit more. Haven't had a problem since.

Mine didn't start leaking until I was moving - and it didn't drip on the engine - it ran back the tank and got on my pants...

GroundHawg,

Thanks for the help. I will try to tighten it up a little more the next time out. I was thinking it could be a venting issue; but the bike runs great and doesn't foul plugs. That leads me to believe that everything is venting properly. Usually if you have a venting issue fuel will be forced past the bowl and lead to plug fouling. I am hoping others may have had the same problem and can weigh in on this.

thanks again for your help,
Rob

Bike on kickstand, leans to the left which might bring the filler neck up higher, topping is off to the neck may leaks out when the Bike is up right !!!. Just a though.

I agree with you 100% that that neck is lower when the bike is upright. I just never had this problem on any of my other bikes. I figured maybe someone else had this issue as well and could shed some light on it for me.

But, thanks for your input.

Rob

There was a thread on this a week or two back. One member found that when the filler neck area was painted, some of it got on the sealing area for the cap. He cleaned it up and his problem went away.

In any case, if you are leaking gas onto a hot engine, you have a dangerous condition and need to fix it ASAP.

Good call...RJ has you covered...look in the Search thread and type in couple key words and you will find the threads regarding riders finding excess paint in the seating area of the gas cap, which they carefullly scraped off and problem was solved.

You should be able to fill up a "sealed cap w/ closed evaporative controlled system." Very likely the seal ring on your gas cap is not seating along the entire perimeter. Check the tank carefully and scrape only with wood or hard plastic/fiberglass stick gently to not nick the contact surface.

Last edited:
I had the same problem with an 08 Heritage - stock gas cap. After I filled up I would tighten it until it started clicking. Turns out it wasn't fully seated. I know turn until it clicks, then press down on it and turn some more - it always tightens up a bit more. Haven't had a problem since.

Mine didn't start leaking until I was moving - and it didn't drip on the engine - it ran back the tank and got on my pants...

I had the same trouble out of my heritage this summer. The Oklahoma Harley dealer said the vent on the cap was bad and poped it out with air. This worked for about 100 miles then I had to really push down on the cap to seal it. The dealer here in Memphis replaced it and I have not had any trouble out of it since.

Could be a big problem here I saw a bike burn it aint a pretty site

Back