free website stats program Gas Caps that rattle | Harley Davidson Forums

Gas Caps that rattle

Anyone know how to stop the ratcheting gas caps from rattling other than buying different ones? I like my caps but the rattle at mid rpms can be annoying.

i hear ya, i took a standard screwdriver and put a couple of dents in the lip on the underside where the chrome meets the plastic. be carefull not to dent the top on the cap.

Don't need to "dent" just use a plastic hammer and wooden dowel and tap down the loose retaining lip. If you dented it, they do make adhesive cover trim to hide the errant hammer blows if you get carried away.:small3d007:

Anyone know how to stop the ratcheting gas caps from rattling other than buying different ones? I like my caps but the rattle at mid rpms can be annoying.

The tips mentioned so far work well. Is the rattling the only problem or have you had issues with leaking like many others? I also have a Deluxe and it is irritating to see where the Moco has cut corners to save a few pennies. How many posts do we see about rattling or leaking gas caps. Wouldn't you think that leaking gas on top of an already hot motor is a Bad thing and you would spend an extra 25 cents to design a proper sealing gas cap? I'm all for cutting costs in a sensible fashion but this particular problem needs an engineering fix.:bigsmiley28:

Sometimes that leaking gas cap may be only paint overspray on the tank inlet sealing surface. Others solved the problem by scraping it off with a wood or fiberglass stick.

Thanks for th tips guys. My caps are aftermarket with the gold eagles, and they are not leaking just rattle like "well you know" (can't say that bad word or i might get yelled at:newsmile055:). I'll try to snug up the tabs and see if that works. Thanks again.

Back