free website stats program Gas can plastic filler tube in gas tank question! | Harley Davidson Forums

Gas can plastic filler tube in gas tank question!

coylizard

Please, no laughing!

I was topping my ride's gas tank off with a little plastic gas can that featured a six inch long plastic filler tube.... when... yes, the filler tube dropped off the can and went directly into the tank; straight to the bottom beyond my reach and site.

My question is, will the gas dissolve the tube and create a problem for the carburetor... or will it not be an issue?

Should I/Must I pull the tank and fetch the tubing... or might I simply leave it as is?

Words of wisdom and experience will be appreciated.

Please, no laughing!

I was topping my ride's gas tank off with a little plastic gas can that featured a six inch long plastic filler tube.... when... yes, the filler tube dropped off the can and went directly into the tank; straight to the bottom beyond my reach and site.

My question is, will the gas dissolve the tube and create a problem for the carburetor... or will it not be an issue?

Should I/Must I pull the tank and fetch the tubing... or might I simply leave it as is?

Words of wisdom and experience will be appreciated.
Eventually I think that plastic is going to be a problem, your tank should not be too bad to remove JMO

Man, I'm sorry to hear that. Personally, I would remove the plastic. Even if it didn't effect the bike it would simply drive me crazy. You might even be able to remove it without pulling the tank. I would drain the tank and try fishing for it. My wife is in the medical field and can get me the extremely long pinchers that they use in surgery. See if you can get your hands on something like that. Maybe even some long needle nose will get it.
WAP.gif

I would bend up a coat hanger and go fishing for it. If that fails empty the tank and remove the tank and shake it, or remove the fuel sender and see if that works
Ken

I would bend up a coat hanger and go fishing for it. If that fails empty the tank and remove the tank and shake it, or remove the fuel sender and see if that works
Ken

And since the filler tube you're "fishing" for is plastic, I'd sharpen the end of the coat hanger real good and you might get lucky and just impale it and be able to get it out.

What about draining the tank and then applying some type of suction to the filler opening, like with a ShopVac? The plastic should be light enough for this to work.

Or you could train a small weasel to go in there and get it for you! :lolrolling

I had a "friend" who did something similar with an older bike...difference being that it was the little cap from the can. I, uh, (he) used an ice pick and CAREFULLY speared the plastic cap, then gently raised it high enough in the tank to grap it with needle nose pliers. I guess success using this method would depend on 1.) being able to see the tubing and 2.) the depth of the tanks filler neck. I hope this helps....good luck!

I had a "friend" who did something similar with an older bike...difference being that it was the little cap from the can. I, uh, (he) used an ice pick and CAREFULLY speared the plastic cap, then gently raised it high enough in the tank to grap it with needle nose pliers. I guess success using this method would depend on 1.) being able to see the tubing and 2.) the depth of the tanks filler neck. I hope this helps....good luck!

Glad your "friend" got his problem taken care of! :p

Sears has a grab tool that is flexible that has a plunger type operation with claws on the end that may do the job. I have used it to grab nuts abnd bolts from tight places you can't get your hands into. It's worth a shot.

Duane

Back