free website stats program Garmin GPS hook up help please | Harley Davidson Forums

Garmin GPS hook up help please

Rebyl

Banned
Am looking at buying a new Garmin Nuvi 500 which is a bit cheaper than the specific M/bike unit they have but it has all the features I need and it is bike friendly. My question is....Once it is hard wired to the bike can you also plug it in to the Aux option on your radio so you can hear the prompts through your headset...Thanks:)

Thanks Biglew, I am not much of a Teckno wizard, can only figure them out after hours of frustration then finally giving up and reading the instructions...LOL

I am torn between the Zumo 550, but it will not record my trips so I can download later for future reference and to show others where we have been, but it does have touch screen and comes with all the mounting stuff for bikes including a Ram mount.
The new one from garmin the Nuvi 500 is about $500 cheaper here and does have tracking, but not the Aux connection to the helmet or other accessories that the 550 has........

I am torn between the Zumo 550, but it will not record my trips so I can download later for future reference and to show others where we have been, but it does have touch screen and comes with all the mounting stuff for bikes including a Ram mount.
The new one from garmin the Nuvi 500 is about $500 cheaper here and does have tracking, but not the Aux connection to the helmet or other accessories that the 550 has........

i currently use the 276c, which is a marine unit. Not completely refined, but it does most of what I want. I wish I had sprung for the 376c with XM and WX. Back to my point. You may want to check out the 276c or the 378/478 units. You can get a power cord with intergrated speaker for the car and another cord with either bare wires or a 3.5mm plug to wire it to your bike.

Just a thought.

Wiring the bike is a matter of 1.) do you intend to move it from bike to car or 2nd bike? If so, stick with cigar lighter or 12V adapter to USB (most GPS come with USB to GPS plug in charge power cord). Otherwise, 2.) hard wire it with 5A fuse to 4 pin accessory plug or 2 pin Battery Tender cord (make sure you check polarity with multimeter at your GPS device to be sure).

As for what model is best...proceed as you have been, what features do you want the most and which are not. Do you really intend to share your adventures by downloading GPS or use your "artistic" writing skill. Personally, I want the GPS to perform...no fluff, would have liked it to remember your amended routes rather than it recalculate and you modify each time. Also do you want Bluetooth seamless communication? May want to test your combination before settling on what to buy. Sometimes the best price or most features is not what you really are looking for. :D

Last edited:
Good points. Yes I do want to be able to move it between vehicles. As for Artistic skills....I have enough trouble writting my own name...grin.
Would still like to be able to record actual trips, I think they refer to the feature as leaving a breadcrumb trail. If the 550 does not do that then there may be some other product that would, I have read of something like that but just cannot remember where. Will still get the 550 as it really does all I require and comes already loaded with New Zealand and Australian maps etc.
Thanks again

The 276c does do the breadcrumb thing and Ihave a cord hardwired on the bike and a 12v lighter cord w/speaker in the truck. This model can be picked p pretty cheap because it's about phased out. It is kinda like an old flat head. not over featured, but reliable and waterproof. Garmin also just came out with a zumo 660 so there may be something else to look at.

The 276, 376, 378 and 478 will work great. So will any of the Zumos

I have a 478 and a Zumo 450. I like the weather on the 478. You can do tracks (your breadcrumb trail) with any of the above. Personally I like the way the Zumo software is designed. I would never be caught using a Nuvi on my bike. They weren't made for a bike but are a decent inexpensive option. I carry a handheld as a backup.
The Zumo 660 is coming out soon and is a great option.
The 478 and Zumo 450 may be available at low prices as they are discontinued or soon to be.
Let me know if you have any specific questions I would be happy to help.

Hey, KC, he's in New Zealand, so XM and the maps on the 376,378,and 478 may not be a good choice. I agree on the Nuvi's though.

You have a good point there. I was speaking more from my experience in regards to the XM and why I have so many units.
The 378 and 478 can be found online for similar prices to the 276c. Plus the auto kits and mounts come with them in case you ever want to use them in a car or boat.

An etrex cx can work well too on the cheap. Get the handlebar mount and it takes micro sd cards for maps. AA Batteries so no need to wire.

Back