free website stats program GA State Parks - need advice | Harley Davidson Forums

GA State Parks - need advice

Grillfish

I'm thinking of taking a 3 day road trip come early September from my home in central FL up to GA. I don't plan to do alot of miles each day, but more of a relaxing 250 miles a day to stop at places of interest, get lunch/dinner somewhere and camp. I'd like to stay off the main highways (i.e. 95, 10, 75, etc..) and take back roads to experience the country more.

I was looking at camping Laura Walker State Park in Waycross for night #1 and maybe Hamburg State Park in Mitchell for night #2, then day 3 ride home.

Does anyone have experiences with those parks? Do you have any other recommendations for GA state parks or other nice campgrounds in the bottom 1/2 of the state?

Thanks for the help.
Todd

I cann't say anything about those parks. We have stayed at Red Top Mountain a few times on our way back to Canada from Florida. We enjoy it, but you don't want to travel 75 and the distance is too far for a day ride. Wherever you go stay safe and enjoy

I've never done it but you're supposed to be able to rent a tent platform in the Okefenokee. Of course, you have to park the bike and canoe in so you might not have time for this.

Not trying to be a snob but the northern third of Georgia is much prettier and scenic tham the south. Maybe make the first day long enough to get up there and then poke around a day or two.

Thanks for the replies.

If I extend this out to 4 day trip, I should be able to get up to the northern section of GA. My in-laws go up to N GA (Blairsville) and NC (Franklin) each year and spend a couple of weeks riding around.

I also checked some state campsites and mostly are booked as it's a holiday weekend. Hmmm... I'll keep poking around and see what I can come up with.

Thanks again.

Lots of us up here in north GA would love to meet you and ride a bit with you. Shoot me a PM when you firm up your plans and dates.

Thanks for the replies.

If I extend this out to 4 day trip, I should be able to get up to the northern section of GA. My in-laws go up to N GA (Blairsville) and NC (Franklin) each year and spend a couple of weeks riding around.

I also checked some state campsites and mostly are booked as it's a holiday weekend. Hmmm... I'll keep poking around and see what I can come up with.

Thanks again.

4 days @ 250 miles a day.....not gonna get you much more than to N GA and back home...I suggest 400-500 miles for day one and four.That will give you two days to explore N GA,SW NC and SE TN....only problem is,you would need 2 weeks to see most of it but you gotta deal with the time you have...have a great ride and be safe...:rider

Looke up Black Rock Mountain State Park. It is in the north east part of Georgia. You get to ride up to the top of this mountain and camp on top. Fossil

Thanks everyone.

I can't get the extra day off, thus only have 3 days and now I need to head south for a family event on the holiday. Oh well. I'll try again when I can get more time off and don't have other family items.

Ride safe and have fun.

I've never done it but you're supposed to be able to rent a tent platform in the Okefenokee. Of course, you have to park the bike and canoe in so you might not have time for this.

Not trying to be a snob but the northern third of Georgia is much prettier and scenic tham the south. Maybe make the first day long enough to get up there and then poke around a day or two.

Although I am from south Ga, you are right, the northern third is a much better ride. We rode to Suches this weekend. Now, if I could just figure out how to get to the mountains without riding on I-75, I-85 or 400 through Atlanta.

Although I am from south Ga, you are right, the northern third is a much better ride. We rode to Suches this weekend. Now, if I could just figure out how to get to the mountains without riding on I-75, I-85 or 400 through Atlanta.

Easy with a good map or a GPS - just takes 2 to 3 times as long!

Back