free website stats program FXRS Screamin Eagle Slip On Problem | Harley Davidson Forums

FXRS Screamin Eagle Slip On Problem

jim14

Bought a new set of 8007-84b screamin eagle slip on mufflers but could not install them as they would not "slip On". Used a lot of force (Hammer) but they are just too tight for the pipe to slip on. I was removing a set of MS-123 cycle shack slip on mufflers. Any one have a similar problem?? Harley tag on the box shows they are for all FXR models. I was installing them on my 1993 FXRS.

Thanks for the response. I will check with the Harley dealer today to see the p/n compatability list. They are only about .001-.002 from slipping on. I can slip them on down to the solid from the flutes but then they stop going any further.

Run your finger on the inside of the pipe and feel if there are any burrs keeping the pipe from going on further.

Thanks for all the responses. I took the pipes to the local HD guru and he advised that they are hard to install the first time. He advised to check for burrs and then run a sand disc lightly inside to polish them a little. I will try again in a week. I checked them with calipers and they should fit. Hopefully they will be a little louder than the cycle shack baloney cuts I am removing. I will post some pictures of our 1993 and 1991 Black FXRS's as soon as I find out how to do it. They are both very clean bikes and mostly original except for the exhaust and modulating headlights. Wife rides the 1991 and I have the 1993. Have a good day.

when my slipons dont slip i heat mine w/ map gas tourch or use a muffler pipe expander if its a tough one.

when my slipons dont slip i heat mine w/ map gas tourch or use a muffler pipe expander if its a tough one.

That is what I was going to suggest. Stop by your local muffler shop and have them put a mandrel in them to expand a tiny bit.

Does the mandrel split/damage the chrome when they expand the muffler?

Good point, chrome is brittle. With just a little expanding, any damage should be covered by the muffler clamp . Ask the muffler guy first.

heat the area a little pipe expanders can be bought at auto store about 10 bucks. U heat it up it will slip on..

Back